R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If any of you riders have ever rekeyed your panniers or top case to match your bag locks to a new bikes key, you know what I'm asking about.

I am looking for number #1 and number #3 wafers. I have four #2 wafers that I can't use. I'd be willing to swap or buy your un needed wafers.

They do dell a kit at Revzilla for $38.00, but that seems like a lot of moola for a few little metal bits.

They look like this and are about 14mm long =>

bmw__new_vario_pannier_lock_key_config_002.jpg

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
214 Posts
I have looked at a lot for vendors, locksmith supply, etc... the prices that I got where around that amount.

After speaking with the service manager at my dealer, they traded me the unused wafers for the one that I needed for free.

·
Super Moderator
595 Posts
Ironic. I pulled out my ziploc bag...and have four #2s.

On mine I pulled the springs and left two slots in each open. Not as secure if a shady BMW owner wanted to try their key on my panniers but enough to keep the opportunist at bay.

May try your local dealer, some are willing to swap.

·
Registered
432 Posts
For the record you do not need all the tumbles in place to have an effective lock. I have on more than one occasion had two or three GS and one set of panniers I use between them. In stead of carrying a bunch of different keys I remove the uncommon tumblers so keys from different bikes will work on the same panniers/top case.

Sure its not as secure as if all 5 or 6 tumbles are in place but in all reality its a plastic or aluminum case where anyone with a screwdriver could pry open in about 3 seconds. These locks keep honest people honest.

Really the illusion of a lock is in most cases enough. Year ago when I was touring on a DR650 I
remove the tumblers from the stock gas cap so I no longer needed a key to unlock it. Simply unscrew it. One day a buddy and I pulled into the gas station and I said I'm going inside for minute I'll fill up when I get back. My buddy said give me your keys so I can unlock the gas cap and I'll fill your bike up while your inside. I said no need just unscrew it. I dissable the lock months ago. Just the sight of the keyed gas cap was enough to stop him from even trying.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the record you do not need all the tumbles in place to have an effective lock. I have on more than one occasion had two or three GS and one set of panniers I use between them. In stead of carrying a bunch of different keys I remove the uncommon tumblers so keys from different bikes will work on the same panniers/top case.

Sure its not as secure as if all 5 or 6 tumbles are in place but in all reality its a plastic or aluminum case where anyone with a screwdriver could pry open in about 3 seconds. These locks keep honest people honest.

Really the illusion of a lock is in most cases enough. Year ago when I was touring on a DR650 I
remove the tumblers from the stock gas cap so I no longer needed a key to unlock it. Simply unscrew it. One day a buddy and I pulled into the gas station and I said I'm going inside for minute I'll fill up when I get back. My buddy said give me your keys so I can unlock the gas cap and I'll fill your bike up while your inside. I said no need just unscrew it. I dissable the lock months ago. Just the sight of the keyed gas cap was enough to stop him from even trying.
I know and that is what I've done for the short term. Brut force is probably the way most thefts are done on these cases. I want all the wafer slots filled to reduce the chance that another persons BMW key won't fit my locks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I literally just finished keying 3 locks, each of which unfortunately required four #1 wafers (leaving no spares).

However, I have nine leftover #3s (and #2s).

If you'd like to PM your address I can get you halfway there. Just let me know how many #3s you need and I'll drop them in mail today.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Score!
Two ones, five twos, five threes, and some itty bitty springs.
I will never need any of these.
PM me your mailing address.

wafers.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
If any of you riders have ever rekeyed your panniers or top case to match your bag locks to a new bikes key, you know what I'm asking about.

I am looking for number #1 and number #3 wafers. I have four #2 wafers that I can't use. I'd be willing to swap or buy your un needed wafers.

They do dell a kit at Revzilla for $38.00, but that seems like a lot of moola for a few little metal bits.

They look like this and are about 14mm long =>

View attachment 27771
I spent hours trying to do the exact same thing on my bike. Frustrated, and yes defeated, I took the locks to the local locksmith. Three minutes later he was done and charged me five bucks!!! Apparently there was a defective pin of sorts. Best five bucks I ever spent!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts