R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Hope you are doing well.

Well, my 2015 GS at 77,000 miles and counting, has had a keyless gas cap failure. Boooooo. I cannot open the bad boy! I currently have a full tank of gas, and need new tires asap, so Wednesday trip to BMW.

Truth be told, at 77k miles, it's been good. My extended warranty comes in again!

Boooooo....

Kam

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wouldn't run a modern GS without an extended warranty. Sadly here in the UK the suspension is not covered after 30,000 miles. Had a rear shock replaced under extended warranty. Would have cost me about £2,0000 without it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You are fortunate that you have a full tank of gas and were not stuck God knows where. Is there another way to open the gas tank in case of failure or do I need to start carrying a crow bar? Tech is only good when it works.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are fortunate that you have a full tank of gas and were not stuck God knows where. Is there another way to open the gas tank in case of failure or do I need to start carrying a crow bar? Tech is only good when it works.
Yes. You can open the cap by removing the top 2 screws on the gas cap ring.

Make sure to carry tools!

Kam

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tried that too. I looked at the mechanism and no luck... So let's see tomorrow what's going on.

Kam

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok, so here's the deal, just returned from bmw.

The gas cap mechanism needs replacing. Covered under extended warranty! Yeah baby!

At the same time, getting rear disc replaced as it's nearly out of spec. After 77k miles, not bad for the original... I think...

Also just got new tires, got 17k miles(?) out of the last Scouts. Amazing how you slowly get used to square tires! What a difference...nimble again...nimbler...

Kam

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
At the same time, getting rear disc replaced as it's nearly out of spec. After 77k miles, not bad for the original... I think...
Not bad at all. I get roughly 50K per rear disk. My '05 was like that. My '13 is wearing at the same rate, a pretty steady 0.01 mm / 1000 miles. At 50K miles it will have worn 0.5 mm bringing the disk to the bottom of the tolerance range. I'll probably change mine next service (48K).

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had this happen last week. Needed to refuel and the gas cap wouldn't open.

Being a former paratrooper I hit the top of the cap with my gloved fist. Not too hard though, opened right up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts