R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently went on a 5 day trip with 8 other guys. During a hot day, mountain ride with a ton of speed bumps 2 KTMs and a Harley lost their rear brakes. Letting them cool down and it was pretty much alright again. I never lost my brakes although after the trip I noticed a brownish discolorazation on the front brake disc running down the center of the disc. Never had that bhappen before. Common?

·
Registered
191 Posts
It might be time to do a flush, bleed and brake fluid change. If you own or have access to a GS-911 tool. It's pretty straight forward. Get a set of SpeedBleeders, some good DOT 4 brake fluid and watch this video.

GS Speed Bleeders Part #.png

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It shouldn't be the brake fluid or pads, it's a 2019 with 4500 on the clock. I{ll have it checked out on my first service.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it's a 1250. I didn't experience any brake fade like the KTMs but did notice a disclororazation on the front discs almost like it was over heated.

·
Registered
132 Posts
That repeated speeding up and then braking for the speed bumps DID heat up your pads and rotors, causing brake fade, discoloration.

·
66 years old and still 16
31 Posts
Did no one ever hear of engine braking?
Slipper clutch on the 1250gs limits the engine brake so...

Brake fade is usually only associated with brake drums, and heat expansion, been there,

Its easy to misread the rear brake, if i use it when im using the front brake the rear pedal falls away, giving that effect of fade on back pedal, its the ABS and stability doing its job, the front brake applies the correct pressure on the rear brake, using back brake pedal would over do the back brake making bike unstable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts