R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I picked up a 2018 R1200GS and quickly came to the conclusion that I needed a spare set of wheels with different tires. I have a set with knobbies, and a purely road set for touring.

However, the purpose of this post is to discuss outfitting those new wheels, specifically front brake rotors and the pair of TPMS. BMW OEM rotors were quoted at $410 each and TPMS (RDC) at $250 each. I did a lot of research and found that Galfer Wave Rotor #DF702W at $170 each on Ebay, and BMW 3631-8532-731 TPMS at $15 each on Ebay both did the trick.

Dealer quote: $1310. My cost $370. Savings of $940.

If this doesn’t work out and I live to tell about it, I will revisit and revise, but in the meantime, I am buying gas and tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Something else

The dealer quoted me $57 to program the tpms each time I change wheels. I found out that the “newer” bikes will auto recognize the new tpms after about 3 miles of riding. So far, I have been reluctant to change both wheels at once, not knowing if the computer can recognize the difference between front and rear, so I change the rear wheel, take a quick spin until it registers, then swap out the front, and I am ready to hit the road, or trail.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts