R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on a R1200GS buying jag for the last few months. I've bought one in February, June, July, August, September and now October + two others I bought in previous years. I have sold a few and currently have 4.

The funny thing was the fellow came to look at the 2009 R1200GSA I've been toying with selling lead me to this 2007 R1200GS. He like the GSA but after talking it was not what ideal for what he wanted. This solidified his decision to buy a 800GS as he wanted something to take off road. I was also happy not to sell it as I've been really connecting with it as the weather has gotten cooler.

Saturday morning I get a text from Nathan and he let me know he had found a 800GS and also sent me the Cycle Trader Link to the 2007 R1200GS as he knew I was always looking for another. I reached out to he seller and we talked Saturday evening and struck a deal.

Wife and I left the house at 2:42a, to drive 305 miles to the sellers house. Got there at 7:38am and was back on the road headed for home at 8:06am to be back by 1:20pm.

The good:

The bike is exceptionally clean with 13,726 miles. 1st owner bought it and put 7,000 miles on it. The second owner (fellow i bought it from) put 6,000 miles on and and it has been sitting in his garage dormant for the last 4 years. It has a 2016 NY state inspection sticker showing the state inspection was performed in March 2016 @ 13,510 miles. Heck the tires have 2011 date codes. Came with Full Akropovic exhaust system, stock exhaust system, regular and low seats and a few other goodies.

The not so good:

The front brakes would lock up tight and stick but I think I've gotten that straightened out already this morning also the ABS light is on. This is also no big deal as the 07 ABS pump if faulty can be rebuilt relatively inexpensively. 1st I want to do a really good brake flush and run the ABS pump bleed test on the GS911 to see if that helps. If not then I'll peruse a ABS rebuild

Next:

Next onto a full maintnenace to include all the oil, filters, pull the swing arm to check and lube the splines/U-joint, new tires & alternator belt, TB sync, valve check/adjust and also add some driving lights plus any other little things that pop up. I'll also pull the tank to clean and inspect what underneath also pull the fuel pump to clean out drain and clean out the tank really good as I'[m sure the 4 year old gas thats remaining isn't doing any good in there.

This is the order I bought them:

2006 R1200GS July 2018
2007 R1200GS June 2019
2005 R1200GS February 2020
2009 R1200GSA June 2020
2009 R1200GS July 2020
2005 R1200GS August 2020
2006 R1200GSA September 2020
2007 R1200GS October 2020

R1200GS 2.jpg
R1200GS 3.jpg

·
Registered
65 Posts
Before rebuilding the ABS pump, are the front and rear sensors and cables leading to them intact?

Looks like a clean bike!

How do you to do the TB sync, do you unplug the idle actuators or reset them with a 911/motoscan tool? I am asking because the associated motoscan function doesn’t work correctly on my bike, supposedly I need a software update from BMW. Some people say don’t bother, just unplug.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before rebuilding the ABS pump, are the front and rear sensors and cables leading to them intact?

Looks like a clean bike!

How do you to do the TB sync, do you unplug the idle actuators or reset them with a 911/motoscan tool? I am asking because the associated motoscan function doesn’t work correctly on my bike, supposedly I need a software update from BMW. Some people say don’t bother, just unplug.
I connect a DIY manometer made from 1/4" aquarium tubing and some sort of colored oil like ATF or 2-cycle oil and connect to the vacuum ports on the throttle bodies.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had one if these with ATF fluid. Mine was about 5’ tall. A few weeks ago I wanted to sync the throttle bodies and stupidly just plugged it into the vacuum ports and hit the start button on a cold engine, after having messed with the throttle cables. The sync was off far enough that all of the ATF fluid got sucked into the left cylinder causing some very bad noises from the engine and a huge cloud of smoke coming out of the exhaust.
I bought a Twinmax after this experience.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had one if these with ATF fluid. Mine was about 5’ tall. A few weeks ago I wanted to sync the throttle bodies and stupidly just plugged it into the vacuum ports and hit the start button on a cold engine, after having messed with the throttle cables. The sync was off far enough that all of the ATF fluid got sucked into the left cylinder causing some very bad noises from the engine and a huge cloud of smoke coming out of the exhaust.
I bought a Twinmax after this experience.
If you look closely there are a pair of hemostats on top of the bar stool that are clipped onto one of the vacuum lines prior to starting the motor. I also like to use 12 or 15 feet of tubing to give you some time to react if there is a big vacuum imbalance.

·
Super Moderator
688 Posts
@PerazziMx14 I did a same setup, but attached to 5' piece of plywood...not as fancy as barstool.
:)

What rpm did you set the balance at? I did 4000 rpm as I wanted to smooth my interstate speed vibration.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bar stool was handy as the Titan lift doubles as my desk and bar after work.

TB and are synced at low RPM (Idle then checked at a bit higher RPM). Sync'ing is more for low speed right off idle as in parking lots or taking off at an intersection. Once moving and the RPM's are up unless the TB's are grossly unbalanced you'll not notice.

On a carb'ed bike you'd sync'ing from idle to about 1/4 throttle (on the idle circuit)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts