R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
New to 2017 1200 GS Rallye. Only has 12k miles but having a strange issue with the 1st gear. Not always but occasionally starting off in the 1st gear, the bike buckles and surges like riding a bull in the rodeo. It will do that for 3 or 4 times and if very scary especially if I was to initiate a turn after the stop. Has anyone experienced similar? The bike I have been riding is DR650 that just works.

·
Premium Member
2017 R1200 GSA Triple Black
57 Posts
When something like that happens to me, I usually attribute it to operator error. I pull in the clutch lever and either start again in first or shift up to second and continue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup, you're probably dumping the clutch too fast. You'll get used to the clutch/throttle feel. Every bike is different.
Yup, you're probably dumping the clutch too fast. You'll get used to the clutch/throttle feel. Every bike is different.
I will keep that in mind. I've ridden various road bikes for over 20 years and currently never felt that with my DR650, but the GS might be different. Thx for the input.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If this happens again, it might be worth a try to turn the bike off and then back on so as to potentially reset any settings that may no be right for the conditions.

Another thought is it kind of sounds like water in the gas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts