R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After few screens and modifications, I've finally reached what I wanted. Now I have zero buffeting.
When I took delivery of my new bike back in January this year, the buffeting was horrible, just after 80 km/h. Tried BMW Adventure screen, a bit better but nothing special. Purchased Puig Adventure screen and it got better but buffeting was still there at 100 km/h. I'm 6'2,5 with 34 inseam.
Then purchased spoiler from Puig, drilled the screen and installed it. It got better. Wind noise was dramatically reduced and buffeting was better but I couldn't ride the bike over 120 km/h because of a headshake. I thought I couldn't do anything else as Givi doesn't manufacture Givi Airflow for my bike and that is the only screen I used on my previous bikes that removed buffeting 100%. Then I remembered to install some spacers on lower screws to tilt the screen towards me as much as possible. It got better. Now buffeting was starting at 130 km/h and the bike was rideable over that speed because the headshake was not that strong. Then I purchased some lexan and brackets and made custom wind flaps, something like a wind flaps on GSA models. Took long time to fabricate them and at the end they made no difference.
After that I gave up as I didn't want to spend more money trying to get it better. Just one week ago I decided to make one last attempt. I purchased Givi 5124DT and wanted to attach upper portion and sliding brackets of Givi Airflow. I thought it was worth a try. The screen arrived today but the upper portion and brackets I left to order later as I wanted to test the screen alone first.
I compared the shape with Puig and it looked the same to me. The bents on the screen are a bit different but all the rest was the same. I thought it would give the same effect as Puig without spoiler. When I mounted it I noticed it was much lower then Puig, which surprised me as the size, shape and holes positions were the same. Then I noticed that it looked lower because it was tilded towards me much more then Puig. However, I mounted it using the same lower spacers I had with Puig.
Went for a ride and boom... no buffeting at all. What a surprise. Tried few hights of the screen and noticed it gave zero buffeting only completely down or completely up. Any position in between, the buffeting started. The reason is that the screen at fully up and fully down position is tilted some more towards a rider. In between it tits forward and that is enough for the buffeting to start. Ridden up to 180 km/h and really, no buffeting at all.
This screen and the setup I use is a bit more noisier then Puig but I don't care about wind noise because I use ear plugs.
Here are a photos of my setup.
Life is good now...

DSC_0083.jpg

·
Professional Nomad
42 Posts
On the topic of wind protection, there are two separate issues: windblast and buffeting.

On many adventure bikes, the distance from the screen to your helmet is so far that by the time the air gets to you, a lot of eddying and buffeting has built up. The only way to combat this buffeting is to keep increasing the screen size to compensate for this distance until you finally get a large bubble of still air between the screen and helmet. 0 buffeting and 0 windblast. Problem solved.

But then you're stuck with a screen the size of a barn door.

What many people don't realize is that buffeting is the real enemy, not windblast. A constant flow of clean air is actually not that fatiguing and on a forward-canted seating position, like a sportbike, the airflow can actually help to keep the rider up and off their wrists.

I went to a shortie screen to prevent buffeting. Done many 500+ mile days with this setup and haven't felt fatigued at the end of the riding day. And the bike looks a lot better than a Harley-type barn door bolted to the front.

Only downside is that you might be cleaning the bugs off your visor more often. Also a good set of earplugs help.

My research includes 15+ years of riding this (Aeroflow - largest windscreen you can buy on the market):

To finally figuring out this was the optimal solution (sexy, small OEM sport-windscreen):

Just large enough that the back of the GPS doesn't get monstered with bug guts...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I agree with lightcycle.
When I buy a new bike with a screen usually the best option is to go lower rather than higher and to compensate for less weather protection I use a good sized tank bag.. After 40 years travelling around Europe on wind blown motorways it works for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree, that smaller can be better to reduce buffeting...
Is there a GS Rallye screen available in dark tint?
Haven't been able to find one.
This is the part number for the clear rallye windshield
46 63 9 467 786​
WINDSHIELD RALLYE​

·
Professional Nomad
42 Posts
I agree, that smaller can be better to reduce buffeting...
Is there a GS Rallye screen available in dark tint?
Haven't been able to find one.
This is the part number for the clear rallye windshield
46 63 9 467 786​
WINDSHIELD RALLYE​
I found a couple. There's an OEM one:

Part number: 77338559548

And also a company called WRS in Europe also offers one. Looks less glossy, and more matte:

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I'm considered "tall" rider, I have been always fighting with screens over last 30 years. On last 5 bikes Givi Airflow on low position was always perfect solution. My new R1250GS is my first BMW bike and I started to question if I liked it or not, just because of the buffeting. As I have it solved now, I need to ride it more to really fall in love with it. As I mentioned above, it gives me zero buffeting in full up or in full down position. So, that is good for me as I now have a setup for summer and winter. It is a bit noisy but my plugs attenuate the noise so it's not an issue. Maybe I'm just imagining the noise too much as the test was at very high speed all the time.
I have a lot of work in coming month but after that I will test it at normal speeds.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I found a couple. There's an OEM one:

Part number: 77338559548

And also a company called WRS in Europe also offers one. Looks less glossy, and more matte:

Thanks Lightcycle!
BMW version shows out of stock so I'll be ordering the WRS.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't have one, but a lot of guys like the Slipscreen from MachineArtMoto (same guys who make the rubber X-Head cylinder head guards). It's opaque though, not dark tinted.

·
Registered
116 Posts
In the past I have bought a cheap used oem screen from ebay and gradually reduced the length/height until the buffeting/noise became acceptable. A Dremel multitool or similar is ideal for the job. Once the height is established the edges can be filed and sanded to obtain a god finish, or a better quality aftermarket screen of similar size can be obtained.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’ve got a Z-technic Slipstream on my ’17 GS and love it, but I’m only 5’-8”. It works well in most positions, but the problem I’m having is that it reflects the engine and front tire noise right back at me and it’s loud.

i guess that means the wind noise is mostly gone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts