R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, the down arrow bulb failure indicator is on but all the rear lights (tail, brake and turn signals) work fine. Any ideas why it remains on? When I called the local bmw dealer I was told that it’ll be very costly to fix, somewhere around $3,500. Does anyone know of a possible simpler solution for my 2005 r1200gs? Thanks in advance.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
233 Posts
One simple thing to check, make sure that the previous owner did not replace some bulbs by LED's... that would trigger the warning light while the lamps works.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One simple thing to check, make sure that the previous owner did not replace some bulbs by LED's... that would trigger the warning light while the lamps works.
Thanks for that, appreciate it, but it’s my bike, no LEDs, owned it since 2005.

·
Super Moderator
648 Posts
I recently had similar experience and it was my rear tailight bulb. LAMPR code and intermittent brake light. I think the filament was failing but just hadn't quite failed yet.

Cheap fix to try with Walmart bulb (size 1157 I think). I did try a LED but the CanBUS did not like that.

I wonder what the dealer was thinking was wrong...new controller maybe?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recently had similar experience and it was my rear tailight bulb. LAMPR code and intermittent brake light. I think the filament was failing but just hadn't quite failed yet.

Cheap fix to try with Walmart bulb (size 1157 I think). I did try a LED but the CanBUS did not like that.

Thanks, that’s a great suggestion! I’ll give that a try tomorrow 😊

I have to admit that I can’t recall what part the service guy at bmw was suggesting. It sounded like an acronym.

Thanks again. I’ll update tomorrow after I get some new bulbs.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Could be as simple as clearing the fault. If everything is operable I'd not spend $3,500 let alone $35.00 to get rid of an LCD arrow on the dash.

·
Registered
480 Posts
If there is a fault the ECU will store it so that when connected to a computer it aids in diagnosis of issues. Once the fault is fixed it can then be deleted and/or "cleared" from the computers memory and life goes on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahhh, but how would you clear the codes if you were me, a guy without the necessary equipment? Wouldn’t that cost quite a bit at bmw for a service technician to do?

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
233 Posts
If there is a BMW Owner's group around you, ask is someone have a GS911 or another scanner that can clean the code. Many will do it for free or almost nothing.

·
Super Moderator
648 Posts
If I recall right once you replace the bulb the LAMPR warning on screen should go away. The code may remain in the bike computer but should not impact anything.

Agree with finding a local BMW owner group to find a GS911 or motoscan app to clear codes, but not needed if new bulb takes warning away.

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
653 Posts
Make sure it is not the parking lamp burnt out. That is the useless one that is in the lower part of headlamp assy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I mistakenly assumed it was the parking lamp light since all the other lights worked fine and while running errands in my car went out and bought an unnecessary new parking lamp!

·
Registered
480 Posts
If I recall right once you replace the bulb the LAMPR warning on screen should go away. The code may remain in the bike computer but should not impact anything.

Agree with finding a local BMW owner group to find a GS911 or motoscan app to clear codes, but not needed if new bulb takes warning away.
With the GS911 you can connect the bike to it and it will show you what codes are present but you cannot clear then unless unless you use one of the VIN spots to have full access to the GS911 tool.

Not sure how the motorcan works

1 - 15 of 15 Posts