R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a R 1250 gsa I have an Akrapovic exhaust it’s burning the hell out of my right foot I bought a heat deflector from America but it has made no difference. The heat appears to be coming from behind my right foot peg I think the cat is there. I asked the dealer they say they have never heard of this problem.
Has anyone else experienced this, any ideas how to remedy this please.

·
Registered
289 Posts
what foowear are you using?

maybe thin soles or thin uppers?
Are you riding with your toes on the footpegs? This could expose more of your foot to exhaust system heat?
other than that, dunno mate.
hope it works out
Greg

·
Super Awesom Person
819 Posts
I read someplace here that if you remove the mudguard off the back of the bike it helps with the hot right foot. I did because it's ugly and I change my tires a lot. I believe it did help because I'm no longer thinking about the heat. I don't know why it works but I believe it does.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If I recall correctly, perhaps from the Advrider forum, they were talking about an aftermarket mudguard, attached somewhere around the tag bracket, rather than the OEM "possum scraper".
My 1250 GSA doesn't burn my foot (I wear boots), but I do occasionally feel some heat on my leg, just below the knee. Perhaps the OP's aftermarket slip-on is the source of his misery?

·
Registered
15 Posts
heat on right side of bike

Have had several talks with the dealer and letters to BMW. Standard answer is they never heard of this issue which is a common answer from BMW on all issues, in order to shift blame away from the bike. I have a 2017 BMW GSA and the heat is extreme from the same area u r talking about. Bear in mind that I live in Phoenix, AZ where I have not ridden since mid May. It's been a really hot summer here. I have taken the back mud gard off which did nothing to help. I put on a Puig accessory to block some of the cat heat which helps a little. Someone on this forum was experimenting with some heat shields, but have not seen an update for 3 months. Someday someone will experiment and solve the problem I hope . below 90 deg it is bearable, but above that I have to wear HD gear .

·
Registered
1 Posts
heat on right side of bike

Have had several talks with the dealer and letters to BMW. Standard answer is they never heard of this issue which is a common answer from BMW on all issues, in order to shift blame away from the bike. I have a 2017 BMW GSA and the heat is extreme from the same area u r talking about. Bear in mind that I live in Phoenix, AZ where I have not ridden since mid May. It's been a really hot summer here. I have taken the back mud gard off which did nothing to help. I put on a Puig accessory to block some of the cat heat which helps a little. Someone on this forum was experimenting with some heat shields, but have not seen an update for 3 months. Someday someone will experiment and solve the problem I hope . below 90 deg it is bearable, but above that I have to wear HD gear .
I have exactly same problem living in Sydney Australia with a 2017 GSA. I believe the only solution is to remove the cat. Illegal here in OZ. Actually thinking about selling the bike. Was thinking about highway pegs but the cylinders are so wide it would be stupid. A few years on from tgeh last post has anyone come up with a solution as yet?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have exactly same problem living in Sydney Australia with a 2017 GSA. I believe the only solution is to remove the cat. Illegal here in OZ. Actually thinking about selling the bike. Was thinking about highway pegs but the cylinders are so wide it would be stupid. A few years on from tgeh last post has anyone come up with a solution as yet?
My 2018 is decatted and still get heat but only when I am not wearing riding gear. With proper boots and Riding pants I do not feel the heat

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2020 model heat onto right ankle. Have noticed it more as the summer has come on, so hot have to hang foot out in the air stream. I thought it was a leak from exhaust but no. There is a vid on utube showing a home made shield that the author claims works am looking into finding a fabricator to make something up as can't find anything on the market.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Have a 2018 GS and do not experience this. Just a thought, but is the exhaust flap functioning properly? I'd think if it is stuck closed or partially closed, it might result in increased heat.

·
Administrator
1,252 Posts
This original post is pretty old and we've not heard back from him but this reminds me of the time a guy posted on the S1000RR forum that the left side frame was burning his calf and ankle when riding his S1000RR around Miami South Beach in shorts and flip flops. You can imagine the responses he got.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts