R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the calsci on my 2019 gs. It is the 3rd aftermarket I've tried and it will be the last. Does just what I was looking for. Buffeting is gone and very quiet now. If anyone is looking for a touratech or a vstream I will let them go on the cheap plus shipping. Touratech is pretty good but the quality is behind the others. I inquired with them about flaws (dimples and pimples) in it and their answer was no one can make a windshield without flaws. They've obviously only ever used their own as it's the only one out of about 8 I've had over the years (all different makes) where I noticed anything like that. I kept it because it was pretty darn good but I'm one that wants to keep trying to improve things so I got the calsci. The vstream was causing some buffeting over 70 mph for me. Under that was fine but it was also a bit too tall for my liking even at the lowest setting.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just installed the calsci on my 2019 gs. It is the 3rd aftermarket I've tried and it will be the last. Does just what I was looking for. Buffeting is gone and very quiet now. If anyone is looking for a touratech or a vstream I will let them go on the cheap plus shipping. Touratech is pretty good but the quality is behind the others. I inquired with them about flaws (dimples and pimples) in it and their answer was no one can make a windshield without flaws. They've obviously only ever used their own as it's the only one out of about 8 I've had over the years (all different makes) where I noticed anything like that. I kept it because it was pretty darn good but I'm one that wants to keep trying to improve things so I got the calsci. The vstream was causing some buffeting over 70 mph for me. Under that was fine but it was also a bit too tall for my liking even at the lowest setting.
Which size Calsci screen did you install?

Seems like for me, going through windscreens until I get it right or give up, is a right of passage on every bike I get.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Does your CalSci have triangle looking hole carved in it? The CalSci for my GTL did.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Which size Calsci screen did you install?

Seems like for me, going through windscreens until I get it right or give up, is a right of passage on every bike I get.

I got the medium which sits just about in the middle of my adjustment which is nice. The vstream had to be all the way down and the touratech was all the way up. It looks better in person than the picture. I was hesitant on the look but wanted the function so I was really pleased with the look once it was on the bike. Think the angle and perspective of the photo distorts it a bit from top to bottom.

Just went out and got a photo and realized it is a bit different from the website photo. You can see the bottom corners are tapered in so it doesn't have the flared look.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Which size Vstream did you use?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok thanks mhcolumbus. My new motorized Puig screen unit lifts the screen higher than stock so the smaller Vstream or Calsci might be best. It also goes lower than stock so who knows.

Dan
Get the calsci. It's more money but it does what it's supposed to do.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I received my XL CalSci windscreen the other day and immediately noticed there was chipping an cracking along the top edge. I was unaware that I'd be responsible for final "fit & finish".

The manufacturer offered this explanation. See attached photo. At $200. plus $33. shipping it is the most expensive windscreen I have ever purchased. They didn't offer a return or any other compensation. I can't recomend their product. I will be going back to my Cee Bailey with the Puig Wind Defector attached.

Caveat Emptor!
wow....that really sucks. Pretty much the same experience I had with touratech being full of flaws but they were at least willing to take it back even though they said the flaws were normal. I would still use it if you are stuck with it. Do what he says to do or just ignore it. A few bugs and some dirt will cure it as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I really appreciate your post on the CalSci wind screen. I just bought and installed one based on your experience. I agree; it is a very good wind screen and does everything I could expect. Thanks again

·
Registered
6 Posts
original r1250gsa screen dimensions

Does anyone have available the factory screen dimensions? (my bike is not at my home... or I could just go measure it!:smile2:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Puig unit & VStream

This might be combining info on another thread with this one:

I have a 1250GS Exclusive with factory low suspension and factory low seat. I'm 5'8" 155lbs. My bike has the Puig Electric windscreen unit. I share all that as your particulars will maybe give different results.

I ordered and Installed the VStream Touring screen. I ordered it instead of the Sport as it appeared to me though taller the measurements would still work out for me. I didn't even come close to being able to see over it in the low position. It's hilarious looking in the high position.

I got today and put on the VStream Sport. The size works well with the Puig unit and it performs fairly well. I'll be returning the Touring screen.

I'll use this set up as is for the time being. I might try the Calsci later but at the moment don't feel like adding another screen to the collection on my shelf from trying different ones for all my other bikes over time. I know many of you "get that".

Hope this helps!
Dan

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2020 GSA and apparently the grommet holes are now much bigger than previous models. The CalSci would not fit although I asked up front before ordering. Mark must be making too much money And sipping that Missouri moonshine to care about his customers...he said “sorry” and sent a picture of a step drill bit and suggests buying a drill from harbor freight! I almost fell out of my chair laughing. What happened to customer service and make it right? I bought two other shields from them but that’s my last.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts