·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_8308-15-04-17-20-20.jpeg

IMG_8307-15-04-17-20-20.jpeg

IMG_8306-15-04-17-20-20.jpeg

IMG_8305-15-04-17-20-20.jpeg

I was driving the other day my R1200GS ADV and hit one small hole on the road. I fell over the bike as it just went down on the road.
The fork was broken... It just fell out at the place it was seamed.
How can this happen? I have only 5000 miles on it. Is it warranty case?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes open a case. This is a known by many but not accepted by BMW issue. Mine also broke and I know of many others. See the already posted thread.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
There's a thread over on ADV Rider about this. One fellow has been turned down on a warranty claim because his machine was equipped with handle bar risers. He said the powers that be saw that as a modification for riding in extreme conditions. I'd darn sure file a warranty claim and a NHTSA report.

Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think we need a bit more information about the circumstances surrounding this alleged incident. I know there was a recall for early 2013 model waterheads in regards this type of fault but this happening when the rider was just riding down the road doesn't quite ring true ... I also noticed all the exif data has been removed from the photos submitted so it is hard to verify when these images were actually created. Maybe if the owner can send us some more detailed images and perhaps a VIN number for the bike it would assist us in helping him/her out ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Make sure to file

Again Make sure to file something with https://www.nhtsa.gov/ it only takes about 5 minutes. If NHTSA sees enough they will make the manufacture respond.

I was the one that was not covered under warranty and yes I am pissed about it.

But it is more important that that, I have seen many of these kind of post so it is not just me or you it is many more and I am sure there are even more that are not on forums like this.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm speechless. If this is so, and not the result of something out of the envelope, just wow. Could one dive off a wheelie and destroy the forks? A pothole? I can't get my head around this......:surprise:

·
Registered
6 Posts
BMW Recall GS and GSA Lcs for fork issue

BMW Motorrad Australia has issued a service recall for a major issue with the front forks becoming separated form the triple trees. I spoke with my dealer yesterday and they are currently booking bikes for the check. If they have not separated and are fine they intend to fit a strengthening bracket to ensure the forks are ok for future. However, If there are signs of separation it could be a front end replacement.
You will be asked for your Vin number to ensure check if your bike falls into this service recall.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yep, my 2017 is booked in. I was told that either BMW will a) add a fork clamp if no sign of separation b) replace the forks if crimp separation is apparent with either replacement current forks + clamp or the newer fork part.

I understand is affects all GS LC's up until April 2017 production.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is worrying.I have seen this posted on FB and have duly signed the petition too.Guess it got their attention.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Can anyone post a picture of a done recall work so I can make sure mine was done? My bike was in for a service just before I bought in from the previous and apparently it had some work done on the forks and an oil seal replaced on one of the legs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think we need a bit more information about the circumstances surrounding this alleged incident. I know there was a recall for early 2013 model waterheads in regards this type of fault but this happening when the rider was just riding down the road doesn't quite ring true ... I also noticed all the exif data has been removed from the photos submitted so it is hard to verify when these images were actually created. Maybe if the owner can send us some more detailed images and perhaps a VIN number for the bike it would assist us in helping him/her out ...
Exactly. I smell spam.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts