R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm new here. Looking to purchase a GS in the next month or so. I'm in Southern California and I've passed too many dirt roads wondering, "where does that go?"

I took the Rawhyde intro class last year and caught the bug. I'm currently on a Harley Davidson Softail Heritage (don't judge) which is a great bike for on the road. The GS will scratch that itch to go exploring.

·
Super Moderator
967 Posts
Welcome!

If your primary role of GS is off pavement may be worth considering a 800/850 to be a little lighter than a 1200. All depends on how much and how hard you plan to ride.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Welcome @MidlifecrisisGS !
You getting a new GS or used?
Lots of older GS riders as well as new GS riders here for your questions.
Let us know if you need any help spending your money.
Ride safe.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Not to steer you away from BMW but for off pavement exploration there are bikes like the DR650 that are 200 lbs lighter than the current R1200GS's that will be much more friendly to use off-road.

·
Super Moderator
967 Posts
Not to steer you away from BMW but for off pavement exploration there are bikes like the DR650 that are 200 lbs lighter than the current R1200GS's that will be much more friendly to use off-road.
👍
70 miles of gravel today. Easy bike choice. Now if 75% was pavement, would've been the GSA.
20210303_172824.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
What did you take the RawHyde class on? As long as you were comfortable with all the exercises in the class, that should be your guide as what you would be comfortable on now. As long as you practice what you learned in class regularly you will only get better and more comfortable

·
Super Awesom Person
678 Posts
Hey all, I'm new here. Looking to purchase a GS in the next month or so. I'm in Southern California and I've passed too many dirt roads wondering, "where does that go?"

I took the Rawhyde intro class last year and caught the bug. I'm currently on a Harley Davidson Softail Heritage (don't judge) which is a great bike for on the road. The GS will scratch that itch to go exploring.
I think the GS is the perfect bike to find out what's at the end of an unknown dirt road. That's what I use mine for. Put a set of Dunlop Mission tires on it and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What did you take the RawHyde class on? As long as you were comfortable with all the exercises in the class, that should be your guide as what you would be comfortable on now. As long as you practice what you learned in class regularly you will only get better and more comfortable
For the Rawhyde class I rented one of their R1200GS. Spent two days doing LOTS of slow speed maneuvers, then two more days with them in the Mojave desert on pavement, sand, dirt, and gravel. I'm 6'5" so smaller is not necessarily better. I'm not looking to do aggressive singletrack stuff, and since I'm in SoCal, any real offroad is at least an hour on the freeway. I'm pretty much sold on the GS.

Although that new KTM looks pretty sweet...

·
Super Moderator
967 Posts
For the Rawhyde class I rented one of their R1200GS. Spent two days doing LOTS of slow speed maneuvers, then two more days with them in the Mojave desert on pavement, sand, dirt, and gravel. I'm 6'5" so smaller is not necessarily better. I'm not looking to do aggressive singletrack stuff, and since I'm in SoCal, any real offroad is at least an hour on the freeway. I'm pretty much sold on the GS.

Although that new KTM looks pretty sweet...
Lighter off pavement is always better, not necessarily smaller. If you decide on a 1200 get a good 50/50 tire to give you every advantage when you get into something you shouldn't have.

If you have never ridden something like a DR650 or KTM690 I'd give it a shot, might surprise you. I bought my DR650 6 month after my R1200GSA and don't regret it (I'm 6'3" with 34" inseam for reference).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I brought the new addition to the family home Saturday. I've already lowered the pegs, raised the bars, and have lots of other various add-ons planned.

Beautiful day for a ride home over Angeles Forest Highway in SoCal.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Congratulations and welcome. This site will help you spend yer dough on add-ons(farkles). Check out Clearwater lights and Russell day long seats🤗

·
Super Moderator
923 Posts
Yeah, the first big ticket item will be a seat. That stock one is just torture.
I wish you good luck with that search. I've yet to find a seat more comfortable than the OEM seat on my GS but as they say, every butt is different.. Coming from a Harley the rider position is obviously very different on the GS. The bike puts you in a more athletic position and core muscle condition makes the biggest difference in all day comfort on the bike for me.

Great looking bike! I think if more people did what you did - take the off-road training early in their ownership - then a lot more of these bikes would find their way off down the road less traveled.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had MrEds moto in Albany oregon do my seat. Highly recommended. What did you do for lowered pegs, that’s in my short list.

·
Super Moderator
923 Posts
SW-Motech makes a set of more off-road worth pegs that can be mounted 15mm lower than OEM. That might not sound like much but it made a difference for me.

Be sure to select the proper year and model on the website.

The nice thing about these is they are fine for touring with the rubber inserts in them but with just a single 10mm nut you can remove that and they become grippy off road pegs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts