R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the stock tires are 110/80 19 front and 150/70 17 rear, but can you throw on a 120/70ZR19 and 160/70VB17 and get away with it? I like the way wider tires feel and look (I know, squidly). Sorry if it's been asked already.

--Greg

·
Not that senior.
699 Posts
Upsizing tyres

Why the need to change sizes?. Engineers take a lot of things into account when deciding on a specific size tyre for a bike, or car for that matter.

Rim size. contact patch, and the downforce applied to that contact patch, are just a few, so why second guess an engineer that has years of experience, and put another size on?.

Change brands, yes, experiment with tyre presure's. sure, but change size...why?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I don't have a link handy, but there are lists available that will tell you what size tire will safely fit on a rim of a given size. However, while a different tire size may safely fit the rim, you still may have clearance issues with things like front forks and rear swing arms. Unless you can get the tires for free for testing it may be an expensive, failed experiment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I really wouldn't suggest it. A good way to screw up the handling. Tires are sized for corresponding rim width. Deviate from that and the contact patch is not working as it was designed to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts