R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I started this and I'm determined to finish it. The Strom was feeling tired and it felt like I was down shifting to lower gears and way more often. Could have been the elevation. Not complaining, it had been taking allot of abuse. We stayed insulated and the rain gear was good but when you are in it for days and at elevations where snow doesn't melt eventually your core just won't warm up. So a few more pictures of the ride from YoHo to Blue River. 1. Again, the water falls were blasting from the weather. 2. Mt. Robson=Epic 3. Yes it's just a room but it was the first time we were warm and dry in days so it was memorable. Even had a laundry room. We drank to much:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'd also like to put in a request for your route please! I've been known to dump my GPS track into something like Basecamp and publish it with a ride report. Is that an option?

I'd like to second the motion of appreciation for the ride report. I wish more of these mooks around her would post one up from time to time.

We rode from LA to Anchorage this year up through BC and the Yukon and even that was quite an epic bit of Canada. I'd love to make the trip you've just made someday as an encore.

Wes

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I tried to put one of my day routes up but got the message "trf files are not allowed". Need to learn up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
This one is long winded but allot happened. The next day the skies were mostly clear, a welcomed change. The GPS route was from Blue River BC to McGuire BC to a site called Calcheak. It was 547km but the time was way over what we do 500k in. We found out why a few hours later. We fueled up at the wresting bears Gas bar.(not it's real name) and headed south on #5 toward Kamloops. If you haven't done the mountains before one thing that it really cool is you can basically be going down hill for hours. Best mileage you'll ever get but to get it you'll have a day of the worst mileage you'll ever get. As usual the scenery didn't disappoint but we were on a bit of a mission that day to make Whistler. We took a right in Kamloops on #1 and drove to the #99 south just past Cache Creek. The 99 WAFR! First word what, last word road. :wink2: This is why the time was so far off on the distance. Hours of twisty windy hilly bliss. I mean the kind of road that will tire you out. There was some construction which was a little sketchy when you got near the edge on loose gravel. You want to look around but the road won't let you. We made it to Lillooet and decided to call it a day. There was a camp just after the bridge over the Fraser River. That was a mistake. Construction traffic all night. Great site and good people but the entire town needs a visit to a muffler shop. The bike needed some love and we needed the break. Oh yea BC wouldn't be happy if it didn't rain on us so we had a 10 minute soaking and then it was happy. The 99 is one of if not the best bike road I've ever been on. The next day is even better. Enough, load pictures.

1. The gas up 2. A Bit of History 3. Going from one mountain range to another 4. The Fraser River as we start dropping down into Lillooet..... Ooop max file limit exceeded.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
1. It's definitely rugged 2. Tire is squared right off, chain is on it's way out and the hydrolic clutch fluid is leaking. Good times 3. Home for the night 4. The view to the east and west of us. The sun leaves the valley long before sunset

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Ok jus a couple more of sunset on the Fraser and the sun leaving the valley. Bit of a funny story. When we went to town for supplies we saw a mountain of a man standing by the produce. He was massive. Like carry a car big. Problem was he was talking to the produce which we found a little unnerving so we decided on canned goods :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
No problem being up and ready given the bridge noise. We got an early start. It was brisk and the valley wouldn't see the sun for a while. We had a bout 300Km to go + Ferry ride. Jumped on the 99 and headed for Whistler. We climbed for a long time and even had to skirt around a couple rock falls. Switch backs and curves the entire way and plenty of wow factor 10 views. The 99, put it on your list, personally I'd do it north to south. Eventually we snaked along beside the river. It was frosty so we pulled up for warmer gear and a few pics. The road straightens out but still lots of good bits. Bike was handling a bit odd by this point and we'd knocked it down a gear. I figured it was the squared off tires. Whistler was packed so we kept it in rollin. Very commercial and $$$. Mostly all down hill to Horse Shoe Bay on the north end of Vancouver. Squamish was less crowded so we pulled up there for a stretch. A place I'd like to see more of. Made it to the Ferry in good time and were first in line so off for a hot cuppa. Got back to the bike and the tire was flat. That could explain the handling DUH! I had 10 minutes to sort it out or we're stuck. The other riders were ready to help but I pulled out my compressor put in 30 psi and got on board. Sue, Myself and a guy on a BMW had a look see while we talked the entire trip. He even donated some of his travel meal packs to the cause since he was already home. Wish I'd have gotten his info. Couple of times I regret not doing that. Make sure you do that stuff. Anyway, it rained again GO FIGURE! But the tire lasted to our destination. A cabin on a bay looking out at the ocean. 5 days of this. What a ride, what a country. And we get to do it all again. All new roads. So that's it till we point it west. If your still reading this THANKS for that. Cheers.

1.Our alarm clocks 2.Company for breakfast 3. Water like glass as we tried to thaw out 4.The trail ahead

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
1.Yep that's a Tire! 2.Our home for 5 days. 3.The only BMW I drove the entire trip. 650i Convertible. This is the face you make when you realize it has paddle shifters on the steering wheel and you pin it. I was racing the owner in his 64 Corvette. Like best day EVER....... Hey it's a BMW so I say this is totally relevant. 4. End of an amazing day. Our hosts were fantastic and we were feeling pretty fortunate right about now. Well that's it. I'll still try to get the route posted some how. Motorcycles are awesome.....

Attachments

21 - 30 of 30 Posts