R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I cant convert google maps to gpx to tranfer to basecamp and to my NAV. if I use GPS visualiser it shows google now needs API????
Any other alternative

·
Registered
142 Posts
Gpx

I used https://mapstogpx.com/ for a while but found that although it copied the route it didn't include any way points, so often went wrong whilst following the route.

·
Enthusiast
79 Posts
Hi I cant convert google maps to gpx to tranfer to basecamp and to my NAV. if I use GPS visualiser it shows google now needs API????
Any other alternative
Basecamp will import a .kml or .kmz route generated by Google maps. Did this many times... You dont need to convert first to gpx to bring into Basecamp.

I use Google My Maps to generate my routes since it has a convenient .kml export feature.

https://www.google.com/maps/about/mymaps/

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
if I use GPS visualiser it shows google now needs API????
As an FYI I can answer that last part. As of June 11 2018 apps that use Google Maps MUST supply an API key to access maps. The key must be tied to a credit card. The developer will be billed according to usage with a credit for some amount of usage.

How many app developers are going to give google a credit card so google can bill the developer for what their customers use? Especially if the app is free. For this reason lots of free apps that used google maps stopped working.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Any other alternative

You can still use Google Earth sat photos and lay out tracks on it and upload into BaseCamp and convert to gpx files with GPS Visualiser or you can just do what I did and buy a subscription to Rever and be done with it.. Rever is the easiest way I have found to develop tracks or routes and then import them into BaseCamp..But there are probably a hundred other ways to do it..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts