R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys...new member here. I was traveling recently when my bike started to get a rattle, sounded like bolts in the motor, and a vibration. drove to a gas station to add oil as it sounded like valve train noise but oil was good. Continued a little bit longer and bike started to overheat and run like crap. eventually as i started to coast it died. It will start as evidence in the video below, but will not run without my hand on the throttle. Any ideas?

I checked the valve clearance, compression, water pump, and replaced the camshaft tensioners (both). I'm at a loss. The camshafts don't look horrible and i wouldn't expect to get compression if the valves hit the pistons, right?

2017 R1200GS Adventure. 24K miles

Video of Motor Starting...Horrible Sound!!!

·
Administrator
1,886 Posts
With 24k I'd consider taking to a dealer as BMW Mottorad may assist with part of the repair. Maybe call BMW first. If you have compression likely not piston rings so maybe crank bearings.

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
2,007 Posts
It could be as simple a sensor going out of range/failing. Connecting to a scan tool of some sort to see what if any codes are being throw would be my next step.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't really have a bunch of diagnostic experience but it sounds somewhat similar to when you do an oil change and at first start up there are noises like lack of oil for 1 or 2 seconds, then everything is fine. My guess is some lubrication line is defective or clogged.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts