R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1988 R100 RT, 2018 R1200 GS
140 Posts
If your dealer wants to charge you $150 to lube the drive shaft splines, pay up or just do it yourself, but get it done.
Since my bike is part of this, I think I'll pay to have the dealer lube the splines at the time. That way the drive shaft tube will be open to clean out any shavings. It's probably more expensive to have it done this way, but I'll have the valve installed, splines lubed and any potential shavings removed.

· Registered
140 Posts
Got my letter yesterday. I’m waiting until January when the bike will need an oil change. With less than 4,000 miles on the bike and my fair weather riding, I’m not worried about the wait.

· Registered
140 Posts
The mechanic showed me the shelf with 50-60 new driveshaft and said they've ordered them before the first bike rolled in for rubber valve service. So, they have no waiting list. If the shaft fails the test, they just grab a new one from the shelf. Portugal is the country where many things fail but at least at this one, BMW dealer is doing great job.
So, that's why there's a wait list for drive shafts at some dealers.

· Registered
140 Posts
They will not touch the final drive oil. It's the service you have to ask for and has nothing to do with this "recall".
Not quite so. It depends on the extent of damage. I've head/read that some people got new final drives as well as new driveshafts due to extensive rust. But, I would expect that to be exception and not the rule. That being said, I would not expect the final drive oil to be changed unless you request and pay for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts