R1200GS Forum banner
61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1988 R100 RT, 2018 R1200 GS
118 Posts
Got my letter yesterday. I’m waiting until January when the bike will need an oil change. With less than 4,000 miles on the bike and my fair weather riding, I’m not worried about the wait.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I took my bike in to the dealership last week for its 30k mile service. Normally I do my own work but here in Germany the warranty laws require you to have the bike serviced at the dealership or you lose your warranty. Thankfully this nonsense was litigated away in the US years ago. But I digress.... The bike is a US spec 2021 R1250GS that now has 29,500 miles on the clock. When I dropped the bike off they told me about the service bulletin and said they would do the work.

However, when I called them to see if the bike was ready for pick-up, they told me it had failed the "test" and would require a new drive shaft and did I want to leave if until Wednesday this week when they get the parts. I asked if it was safe to ride and they said yes so I picked it up and scheduled an appointment for when the weather will be crap (November).

I just went out to see if they had drilled the hole and it is there. I messed with the rubber "valve" and easily pushed it into the hole. After a moment of panic, I grabbed a mirror and needle nose pliers and got the sucker back in position. Frankly, it is a sketchy situation. It is very easy to push that rubber piece into the housing. If you are doing water crossings, this could be a serious problem and make matters worse than they were to start with. I don't go off road but I'll still be checking on that rubber thing often. Washing the bike it would be incredibly easy to inadvertently push that thing in and never notice. Take care with that valve. Just my $0.02.

So it appears that there are two issues that do not appear to be related. 1. The water accumulation and response to that (drill hole, insert rubber thingy). And 2. A test of the drive shaft assembly for some kind of wear via vibration or run-out or resistance or all of above? Information on "2" is fairly hard to come by. All I know is mine failed. The question is, will this happen again and will it be on my dime next time? One article I read said "aggressive" riding could contribute to this failure. I tend to spank this bike pretty hard so that worries me a bit.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Just took the 2018 GSA into the dealer, 28,000 miles…got the driveshaft tested before they could drill and vent it…..needs replacement. Good news I get a new driveshaft, bad news I have to wait for parts, but I guess they say it’s still rideable.

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
549 Posts
Mine (2021 - 10.000 miles) has past the test and just got the rubber valve. The mechanic showed me the shelf with 50-60 new driveshaft and said they've ordered them before the first bike rolled in for rubber valve service. So, they have no waiting list. If the shaft fails the test, they just grab a new one from the shelf. Portugal is the country where many things fail but at least at this one, BMW dealer is doing great job.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The mechanic showed me the shelf with 50-60 new driveshaft and said they've ordered them before the first bike rolled in for rubber valve service. So, they have no waiting list. If the shaft fails the test, they just grab a new one from the shelf. Portugal is the country where many things fail but at least at this one, BMW dealer is doing great job.
So, that's why there's a wait list for drive shafts at some dealers.

·
Registered
2017 White GSA
1,604 Posts
Approaching my 60K service and I do have to have the drain installed in final drive housing at this next service.
Does that mean they will change the final drive fluid?
Reason I ask is I usually change all the fluids and filters myself before it goes in.

·
Super Awesom Person
1,001 Posts
Approaching my 60K service and I do have to have the drain installed in final drive housing at this next service.
Does that mean they will change the final drive fluid?
Reason I ask is I usually change all the fluids and filters myself before it goes in.
I would wait till you get it back and ask what they did.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Phew, checked with my local dealer and they mentioned that they're not even expecting the equipment for the Cardan service action until early 2023. At least they were forthright about it -- the dealer where I purchased my bike has been incommunicado since I asked about the service a month ago.

Bike has 90k (km) on the clock and I'm not the first owner with sparse service records, so hopefully that doesn't negate applicability if they find out the shaft is toast, eep.

·
Registered
118 Posts
They will not touch the final drive oil. It's the service you have to ask for and has nothing to do with this "recall".
Not quite so. It depends on the extent of damage. I've head/read that some people got new final drives as well as new driveshafts due to extensive rust. But, I would expect that to be exception and not the rule. That being said, I would not expect the final drive oil to be changed unless you request and pay for it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This link also describes a special tool that allows the tech to check integrity of shaft and perform vent install without opening anything up:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Earlier in this thread it was said that at 36,000 miles the shaft was automatically replaced. Now there is talk of 37,000 miles. Having just reached 36,000 miles I guess I should do another 1000 miles before contacting my dealer and hope the mileage isn’t revised to 38,000 🤔🙄.

·
Premium Member
1,360 Posts
Earlier in this thread it was said that at 36,000 miles the shaft was automatically replaced. Now there is talk of 37,000 miles. Having just reached 36,000 miles I guess I should do another 1000 miles before contacting my dealer and hope the mileage isn’t revised to 38,000 🤔🙄.
I started that, Maturerider. When I scheduled the appointment with my dealer (Motorcycles of Greensboro), I asked the service manager if I had over 36,000 miles, would a new driveshaft be installed. He said, "No, 37,000 miles." I have a bit over 40,000 on my '18 GSA.

Mike

61 - 80 of 107 Posts