R1200GS Forum banner
81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
I think I might have a solution to BMW‘s shaft drive problem 🤔.

Drill a couple of holes in the drive shaft housing. One above the rear splines and the other above the universal joint. Connect a Scottoiler to the two holes and let oil drip on the two offending items.

Sorted!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anyone know or have tried to have this issue addressed in Canada?
Yup. Motorrad Toronto which sold me my used 1200 just straight up ghosted me once they got my money, and the other dealer in the area quickly replied but told me they won't be seeing the equipment from BMW until the new year. I'll check back in Jan or Feb, but I plan to park the bike for winter so as long as they're ready to go by early Spring I'll be happy. I plan to book a regular service (90k km lol) either way, but I'll expect it to be done at that time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I took my 2020 1250GSA in for a 30,000 mile service and was informed of this "preventative upgrade". If I'm lucky only a simple valve will be installed. If unlucky the entire swing arm and swing arms are on back order with no estimate as to when they will be available.

Moderators, if this has been posted elsewhere and I missed it, please remove.

·
Registered
2 Posts
BMW/Ducati of Charlotte was easy to work with on this issue(so far). I went in with my VIN (2014 GSA) and they said that with the milage(41,xxx) it automatically gets a new driveshaft. They went ahead and put me in the system and will contact me when the parts come in.
Interestingly, they also said that BMW has giving them the freedom to replace any other items that are related to the drivetrain/final drive, if they suspect any abnormal wear items.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks for the post. Great information. I have a 2020 1250GSA. At around 5K miles I tore the rubber boot on my final drive. When I replaced the boot I discovered what everyone is talking about, a rusty drive shaft/final drive spline. Its well greased now.

Automotive tire Crankset Engineering Rim Auto part

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
315 Posts
I gather new shaft drives will automatically be fitted to those motorcycles that have covered 37,000 miles. I thought that was a rather strange distance until I worked out that in kilometres it is 59,545.728. Rounding up, that is nearly 60,000 kilometres. To be sure of guaranteeing a new shaft it might be wise to cover 37,454.272 miles before booking your bike in 🤔🙄😂.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Got my 2021 back yesterday and the old shaft. Just under 32,000 miles on the shaft. After checking the U-joints it is obvious to me that the bearings at the ass end are shot. No doubt they failed the “test” due to excessive vibration. I can feel the wear in the form of not-smoothness that is not observed at the transmission end.
As before, my concern is that this will occur again. This failure is clearly not due to moisture. It is something else entirely.
Door Household hardware Wood Tool Gas

81 - 100 of 107 Posts