R1200GS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
What is the problem with the R1200/1250 shaft drive?
A. The Hardy Spicer (Universal) joint breaking up.
B. The splines wearing excessively due to lack of lubrication.

(The Hardy Spicer shown has a grease nipple but the BMW one is probably ‘sealed’).
Camera accessory Auto part Cameras & optics Optical instrument Metal

·
Registered
41 Posts
I completed the 12,000 mile service today for my 2022 GS. I looked under the final drive and found a hole, but no rubber vent.

Looking into the hole I saw what appeared to be a piece of rubber. I used a dental pic to try and remove it, but it got lost. I wonder if there had been a rubber vent and maybe it tore while riding through some trails.

here are a couple of pics
Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Bumper Auto part

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
I completed the 12,000 mile service today for my 2022 GS. I looked under the final drive and found a hole, but no rubber vent.

Looking into the hole I saw what appeared to be a piece of rubber. I used a dental pic to try and remove it, but it got lost. I wonder if there had been a rubber vent and maybe it tore while riding through some trails.

here are a couple of pics View attachment 33830
Looks like there is something right past the hole. Maybe it’s the rubber valve which got pushed inside, if that’s possible?

·
Registered
288 Posts
As a farmer I am very familiar with PTO (power take off) shafts which is very similar to the drive shaft in the photo. It’s a means to transfer power from the tractor to a piece of equipment attached to it which requires power. I have only seen a PTO shaft fail once. I used a light weight shaft to do a heavy weight job, which wasn’t a total surprise to me but I didn’t have a suitable shaft to hand so I thought I would give it go 🙄. The damage was nothing like as extreme as in your photo 😳.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As a farmer I am very familiar with PTO (power take off) shafts which is very similar to the drive shaft in the photo. It’s a means to transfer power from the tractor to a piece of equipment attached to it which requires power. I have only seen a PTO shaft fail once. I used a light weight shaft to do a heavy weight job, which wasn’t a total surprise to me but I didn’t have a suitable shaft to hand so I thought I would give it go 🙄. The damage was nothing like as extreme as in your photo 😳.
Happened during acceleration shifting from 2'nd to 3'rd at good speed. Luckily the rear wheel didn't lock up. Long way home in shame though (200 + Km)

Cloud Sky Tire Wheel Automotive tire

·
Registered
'18 R1200GS, '14 Honda Interceptor, '20 Yamaha WR250R
41 Posts
I was at the dealership yesterday and the service manager had just gotten the bulletin that morning. She said it will be a while before they can do the work because it requires special tools that she doesn't yet have.

·
Registered
'18 R1200GS, '14 Honda Interceptor, '20 Yamaha WR250R
41 Posts
As far as I can tell, my 2022 GSA has the nipple installed and thus the recall doesn't apply. I just had my "first service check" and they stated that there was no recall work for my bike and when I asked about lubbing the rear splines they told me they'd be happy to do it for C$150. I said "no", the bike is under warranty so if anything major happens I should be covered.
The service manager I talked to yesterday said it was a "service bulletin" and not a recall. The press release I read indicated it was not urgent and should be performed at the next service interval.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I presume that if ANY R series boxer engined motorcycle, manufactured after 2013, which has a cardan failure before, as a result of or after the ‘service campaign’ will be fully repaired at BMW‘s expense 🤔🤔🤔

·
Administrator
1,822 Posts
I presume that if ANY R series boxer engined motorcycle, manufactured after 2013, which has a cardan failure before, as a result of or after the ‘service campaign’ will be fully repaired at BMW‘s expense 🤔🤔🤔
I had the same thought. They've opened the question of what is normal wear and failure and what is part of the service campaign. An expensive question at $1500 each!
Light Font Line Screenshot Auto part

·
Registered
288 Posts
You can buy a lot of chain and sprocket kits for the price of a BMW drive shaft. BMW‘s mark up must be off the scale. On reflection it needs to be to cover all my warranty claims 🙄. They certainly know how to shaft their customers (see what I did there 🙄?).

21 - 40 of 44 Posts