R1200GS Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
I recently watched a YouTube video about BMW‘s cardan service campaign and all the GS owner talked about was the splines. Nothing about premature wear of the universal joint/s. I the asked on this thread before, but got no response -
Is the problem the splines or the universal joint/s? Perhaps it’s both. It would be good to know.

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
467 Posts
Is the problem the splines or the universal joint/s? Perhaps it’s both. It would be good to know.
It is both. However, when the splines freeze with rust, U-joint gets a lot of stress and breaks. So, it first starts with splines and ends with broken U-joint. That is, in 95% of situations of drive shaft catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
298 Posts
It is both. However, when the splines freeze with rust, U-joint gets a lot of stress and breaks. So, it first starts with splines and ends with broken U-joint. That is, in 95% of situations of drive shaft catastrophic failure.
Thanks for the clarification. It appears to be a very badly designed drive train.

Come back chain drive, all is forgiven 🙄.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just rang my local dealer(Morgan and Wacker) here in Australia and they are aware of the "Recall" and have booked me in for 01 Sep. And yes! they have called it a recall. So its definitely worldwide. My 2015 GSA has over 55,000k on it.

·
Administrator
1,440 Posts
I just checked with my dealer. They have the tools provided by BMW to perform the recall but not the parts - and no idea when the parts will be available. I asked if it would be a good idea to pull it apart and inspect it but they advised against it. If there's a problem I likely would not be able to reassemble it.

My bike has spent a great many miles off road with countless water crossing, many of those pretty deep, so I know there has been infiltration into my final drive. My plan is to keep riding it until the parts are available. I'm 18th on the waiting list at the dealer for the recall service.

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
467 Posts
I just checked with my dealer. They have the tools provided by BMW to perform the recall but not the parts - and no idea when the parts will be available. I asked if it would be a good idea to pull it apart and inspect it but they advised against it. If there's a problem I likely would not be able to reassemble it.

My bike has spent a great many miles off road with countless water crossing, many of those pretty deep, so I know there has been infiltration into my final drive. My plan is to keep riding it until the parts are available. I'm 18th on the waiting list at the dealer for the recall service.
When they drill the hole, if water comes out, they will have to open everything up and inspect the driveshaft. If it's rusted out, it will be replaced for free. It has to have the splines and U-joint in perfect, rust free conditions.

·
Registered
168 Posts

If you have more than 36,000 miles you get a new shaft so make sure they order that too. Took my dealer (Columbus, GA) about 3 weeks to get everything in. Good luck.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you have more than 36,000 miles you get a new shaft so make sure they order that too. Took my dealer (Columbus, GA) about 3 weeks to get everything in. Good luck.
Am I reading you right. Any bike that has done 36,000 miles will automatically have a new drive shaft and universal joints (cardan) fitted. Presumably the dealers don’t even bother to do the ‘test’.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Am I reading you right. Any bike that has done 36,000 miles will automatically have a new drive shaft and universal joints (cardan) fitted. Presumably the dealers don’t even bother to do the ‘test’.
Yep, I have a new drive shaft now and the little rubber vent installed. Still can't get an answer on exactly how the vent works.

Reactions: DaveFromDenver

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
467 Posts
Looks like the owners go and book the recall work by themselves, without the letter, Others have their driveshaft work done when they come for regular service, At least, that's the way things go for now here in Portugal.
But what about the owners who don't know about the recall and don't go to their BMW dealer for regular service? As there are 400,000 bikes affected all around the world, I guess they will be sending the letter to all the owners that didn't check-in for the driveshaft service in 6 months or so.
I've been at my dealer for driveshaft recall (2021 GS) and later one more time for some other work. As I'm allowed to enter the workshop, I can tell you, it's real caos over there. They have so many bikes to do every day and besides the recall they have regular services, brakedowns, colision etc. to take care of. They are having hard time right now.

·
Registered
2014 R1200GS
5 Posts
I just had the recall work/inspection performed - the dealer in Denver was booking appointment nearly 4 weeks out, and even after I dropped off the bike to have the work done, was still delayed a few days because of the workload they're experiencing.

·
Survivor
961 Posts
Spousal Unit got a letter for her 17 GS a few days ago; I have not received a letter for my 19 GSA. She already had an appointment for 12 October at the dealer in Missoula. They could have done it much sooner but we wanted to wait.

It is not a recall. The term recall has legal implications and generally means it was mandated by the government. This is a self imposed service campaign by BMW.

·
Registered
2014 R1200GS
5 Posts
One interesting note - when I called the BMW dealer to inquire about the recall and schedule the work, the tech voiced a MUCH higher level of urgency than the letter from BMW did. The tech hinted that maybe I should trailer the bike to the dealer rather than ride it, for safety's sake, while the letter from BMW had a laid-back "yeah, whenever" kind of tone. :-D I'm sure that she was just doing some CYA to cover litigation risk, but that seemed pretty extreme. Anybody else run into that kind of response?

·
Premium Member
2017 R1200 GSA Triple Black
156 Posts
Got my recall notice in the mail today. Not sure if I want the Specialized Bike Shop that Sierra BMW has become to do the work.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts