R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this would fall under Maintenance and Modifications.

I dropped of my BMW 1200 GSA off at a motorcycle shop (I'm not saying if it was a dealership, motorcycle repair shop or a backyard mechanic). I had the shop do a full service, final drive oil change, air filter, spark plugs, check valves, etc. I also asked them to check my break pads. They replaced the front and rear pads.

I picked up my bike. In less then a mile, I'm on an Interstate going 70 MPH, heading home. I tap my breaks and ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE! I don't know what happened but my bike becomes almost completely uncontrollable. I immediately stand on my pegs which allowed me to keep the bike from high-siding and get some control. I manage to get the bike on the left shoulder. The shoulder is only two foot wide and then there is a guard rail. I jump over the guard rail for safety.

This is what I see:

The mechanic didn't tighten the rear caliper. When I tapped the brakes, the rear caliper came loose and destroyed all the spokes before it broke off of the brakeline.

The owner of the shop has been increadible. He took full responsibility.

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
642 Posts
That is a Wow moment.

Might be a lesson for others to do a few laps around the block before cranking it up on the Interstate after repairs. What repair shop does not "test" ride bike before releasing it to customer?

·
Super Moderator
584 Posts
I don't see the pictures either. Good lesson to always put some blue loctite on those two rear caliper bolts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ah man, what a mess on a number of levels. Good on ya for keeping the bike up long enough and staying cool headed. Glad you are safe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd be looking for a new workshop after that episode, smacks of total incompetence, first year mechanic must have been on the job :confused:. I bet a change of underwear was needed after that little fright. Glad you're ok, maybe a lottery ticket is in order.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd be looking for a new workshop after that episode, smacks of total incompetence, first year mechanic must have been on the job :confused:. I bet a change of underwear was needed after that little fright. Glad you're ok, maybe a lottery ticket is in order.
The firemen and paramedics all mentioned buying a lottery ticket.

At first I thought the same about going to a different shop however after thinking about I'm not changing. That mechanic knows what he did, or in this cased didn't do, could have seriously hurt or killed me. It shook him up and he realized, maybe for the first time, the work he does can be a matter of life and death. Right now, I believe he is the most careful mechanic around because he never wants to have that feeling again. He checks and rechecks everything before releasing a bike.

Everyone in the shop had a wake-up call. The owner of the shop put the wheel in the break room as a reminder to all.

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
642 Posts
At first I thought the same about going to a different shop however after thinking about I'm not changing. That mechanic knows what he did, or in this cased didn't do, could have seriously hurt or killed me. It shook him up and he realized, maybe for the first time, the work he does can be a matter of life and death. Right now, I believe he is the most careful mechanic around because he never wants to have that feeling again. He checks and rechecks everything before releasing a bike.

Everyone in the shop had a wake-up call. The owner of the shop put the wheel in the break room as a reminder to all.
Exactly what I was thinking. Knowing the price of those parts needing replacing, I can't imagine that will ever happen in that shop again. Beats hell out of going trial and error with every other shop.

·
Super Moderator
584 Posts
The firemen and paramedics all mentioned buying a lottery ticket.

That shop will NEVER forget your name. :D

In reality your work will likely get quadruple checked on every repair going forward.

·
Registered
50 Posts
HOLY SHEEEEEEET !!!!! Glad it was not the front and that you made it...
You should be getting FREE service for life since it's your life that was in peril....

BTW I would of probably emptied every liquid and solid if it happened to me...

·
Registered
46 Posts
What an experience! How long to fix? Glad your OK. Maybe you should have the tech pick it up and drop it off, door to door service and a test ride!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Incredible that you are safe.
Incredible that the shaft is not in pieces too.
How is that not a total loss?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts