R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,at just over 62k miles I had what I thought was an oddly and suddenly failed but I was wrong, dealer says it looks to be a catastrophic failure somewhere in the gearbox to the point I should consider a complete engine swap. They added, “we haven’t seen anything like this other than on a police bike”. I said “thanks, I think”?? So I’m wondering, has anyone else seen this? Also, where do I look for a used engine??

·
Registered
146 Posts
Why replace the whole engine and not just the gearbox? There's a gearbox for sale on ebay now.

Several engines avaliable too.

·
Super Moderator
685 Posts
On an water cooled boxer with a shared sump for engine and transmission gearbox it would not be uncommon to rrcommend full replacement if the shrapnel is fine enough and throughout the system.

Keep in mind they need to warranty their work so if the fix the transmission gearbox and you break something else soon they'll have to deal with it. Plus a used replacement may be quite a bit less money.

If you have a local independent mechanic (or if a local BMW group can recommend one) you could get a second opinion. As mentioned eBay is good as well as try googling for salvage yards specializing in BMW...can't recall names but know they are out there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On an water cooled boxer with a shared sump for engine and transmission gearbox it would not be uncommon to rrcommend full replacement if the shrapnel is fine enough and throughout the system.

Keep in mind they need to warranty their work so if the fix the transmission gearbox and you break something else soon they'll have to deal with it. Plus a used replacement may be quite a bit less money.

If you have a local independent mechanic (or if a local BMW group can recommend one) you could get a second opinion. As mentioned eBay is good as well as try googling for salvage yards specializing in BMW...can't recall names but know they are out there.
Yes, shrapnel is the concern. They drained the oil, “black and foul smelling” and when they tried to start it prior to the drain, “it made a God awful noise”. And they agreed that getting int the gearbox for repairs gets expensive really fast. I’m in Portland, OR. if anyone knows of a good independent mechanic. Shop wants 1k pull engine and further diagnose or to do a straight up engine swap once I find one. Thanks for the tips.

·
Super Moderator
685 Posts
Probably a good sign from the dealer they didnt tear in. A lesser dealer might pile up a few grand in exploratory surgery. Does make one wonder if it may only need a clutch though...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They did pull the front cover and said the clutch looked okay. I agree though, they were good to stop there and not just pull then engine and keep digging.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts