R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI. I have a 2014 GS LC that I bought used. The bike is in great shape and runs well. I have one problem, the center decorative piece that goes around the gas tank fill neck and runs down the entire length of the gas tank will not lay flat on both sides of the gas tank. The rubber fittings under the trim piece are in correctly. I have about a 1/4 inch space on both sides. I have reseated the trim piece 4 times and it always does the same thing. Has anyone seen this before and if you have do you have any idea as to how to correct this problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
933 Posts
I wonder if it has to do with the tank bag ring? Shouldn't.
Maybe remove the ring and see if it lays flat.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It’s the same way on my 2016 GS. I’ve checked other bikes and they all do it after a while. I am told it’s because of the swelling of the gas tank from the ethanol in the gas. At least that’s what I am told.
If you search on adventure rider there post about this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s the same way on my 2016 GS. I’ve checked other bikes and they all do it after a while. I am told it’s because of the swelling of the gas tank from the ethanol in the gas. At least that’s what I am told.
If you search on adventure rider there post about this.
That is exactly what the dealership here told me. I was hoping it was something I could fix. I will let it go and stop worrying about it since this pretty much confirms what I was told too. Thanks to you guys for responding.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
352 Posts
Here is the service manual for the tank installation, scroll down at the end, there is a specific sequence for installing tightening the panels.

It might not be applicable exactly to your bike, if there is too much difference, give me the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th digits of you VIN so I can extract the specific manuals.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sequence is the same for the left
Thank you very much. I will give it a try in the morning. I would be thrilled if that resolved the problem. I like my bike to be right and this seems like something is just not quite in place. Thanks again.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
352 Posts
You're welcome, let us know if it fixed the problem.

I'm skeptical about the tank swelling... I have a 2009 and, here in Canada, they are very generous on the ethanol but my tank show no sign of swelling.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will. I am hoping this will resolve the issue. I love this motorcycle and that would be the final outlier that I have wanted to clear up. Thanks again and stay tuned. It is greatly appreciated.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
352 Posts
In this ADVRider thread, they mention lubricating some tab to help them click in place 2015 R1200GS LC tank panel fit up problem!

Since the bike was bought used, a carefull examination of all the prongs/tabs might reveal that the precedent owner did not install the panels correctly and pushed too hard on some clips. That all apart and have through check before attempting reinstall.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
352 Posts
Jim Von Baden is a reference in the GS's world, seriously, he says that the cover need some strength to get in place

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's a swollen tank from ethanol gas. All the pushing a shoving in the world won't make the gap go away. Mine is exactly the same. Most are after a few tanks of E10 gas.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
352 Posts
If it's the case, see the thread from ADVRider I posted earlier. Time to get the heat gun ready, heat the tank until pliable, push back the bulge.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You're welcome, let us know if it fixed the problem.

I'm skeptical about the tank swelling... I have a 2009 and, here in Canada, they are very generous on the ethanol but my tank show no sign of swelling.
I tried using the installation procedure and it did not change anything. It did help to make it easier to know how best to piece the plastic back together.

I have to say, I looked closely at the gas tank (I even got my wife to look at it) and neither of us can see any bulging what so ever. Looking at this it almost looks like the tank needs to go down (in its entirety) a quarter of an inch. I checked the tank mounting screws and they are flat against the mounting points and tight. I would have felt a little better if I could have at least seen some buldging. Then I would know for sure. Right now I have no idea as to what will actually correct this. I am guessing it is a swollen tank but just can’t see it.

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
352 Posts
Some tried putting some chalk/removable paint under the panels, then pressed them in place to mark the hight points, maybe that could help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thats a good idea. That said, I have looked under neath and it appears that either the tank is to high for some reason or the trim where the post go in are built to high from the factory. BMW could have solved this problem by making the trim a quarter of an inch or so longer on the sides where the trim meets the tank....problem solved. If it is a bad gas tank then in my humble opinion, BMW should have stepped up and replaced all the gas tanks or at least the ones with the problem. Well, that is a fairy tale that any manufacturer would do something like that. As long as it is safe I will just ignore it from now on. Especially given so many are having this problem.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts