1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Super Awesom Person
439 Posts
I think the blueing on your headers looks just fine. Like they are supposed to. Of course I grew up in the sixty's when all bikes looked like that.
As far as the exhaust flap goes it's there to give you more low end torque when closed at low rpm's and more horsepower at hi rpm's.
https://www.tabperformance.com/Reduce-Back-Pressure-Exhaust-s/203.htm

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looks like flapper is part of the header
i will know next week when i strip it
the coating process requires cooking but i should be able to remove the vulnerable parts

the foto makes the pipes look better than they really are
they really look crap

once done they will always look chrome without the polishing:smile2:

quote was AUD$220-270

russ

·
Registered
82 Posts
I looked into it a while back for a different bike (RNineT). The workshop that did the ceramic coating said it is difficult on used pipes as surface prep is critical. They require sand blasting first.

With my GSA I have SS catless headers. CBF paying for ceramic on a GS though.

Yes, flapper is part of the header pipe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
the headers a clean with kerosene. Just a wipe over. No rubbing. Wipe on, wipe off.
nope:grin2::grin2:

couldnt stand it any longer...i took pipes off and took to plater today

the flapper is permanent..its a one way ticket,welded
the catalytic conv is staying as i like the sound of oem exhaust
re stainless steel.....they start out fine but then turn straw colour+i couldnt justify the cost

was really just looking for easy clean(wash with soapy water) then see oem chrome finish
will post up fotos when i get them back

russ

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i got the headers back today:grin2::grin2:

not sure if i went this road again,i would prob choose flat silver,as wouldve blended well with the engine,but i went chrome as OEM
total cost was AUD$220

the crash bars came today also:grin2::grin2:

and when i started up the bike after 3weeks of sitting,there was zero hash/clatter so the oil filter anti drainback valve is working:nerd:

TKC70's on also:smile2:

russ

·
Registered
22 Posts
As far as the exhaust flap goes it's there to give you more low end torque when closed at low rpm's and more horsepower at hi rpm's.
My BMW dealer service manager with years of experience says the exhaust valve is simply there to pass the Euro/EPA noise test. Not sure i agree with him.

And i further question his comment as recently with the exhaust valve in my 1250GS at 30,000 kms being squeaky when the ignition first turned on and the ECU doing its system 'check' and cycling the valve, i sprayed the outside of the valve with brake cleaner then saturated with silicone spray hoping some may make it into & down the shaft. The valve seemed to be fully open in its resting state before & after lubing.
First ride after the clean & lube, the engine felt smoother and more responsive opening the throttle at low speed & revs.
Maybe the exhaust valve was now closing more than it was previously, making more back pressure and improving torque.
Whatever, i prefer the way the engine is now and will undertake regular exhaust valve maintenance and NOT disable it in the fully open position as he suggested.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Assuming we are talking a 2010-2013 model here the exhaust flap is really just there to pass noise regulations. It can easily removed and replaced with a blanking sleeve or silencer and link pipe.
My bike actually runs better without it with no power dip between 5-6k rpm.

·
Registered
21 Posts
FWIW, I bought an Akrapovik full system for my son’s G310GS and was concerned about the radiated heat from bulbous “pre-silencer” (Akra’s term) adversely affecting the rear shock. In addition, I worried about radiant heat from the header/silencer junction melting my son’s size 13.5 boots! (Akra has since released an optional carbon fiber heat shield that was not available originally to address the boot melting problem at the header/silencer junction).

Anyway, I found a ceramic coater locally (Specialized Performance Coatings, Inc. in Arlington, TX) that seems to specialize in V8 headers as there were hundreds of sets in various stages of completion when I dropped the little Akra off. Or perhaps they were just doing a large order for a fabricator/manufacturer...

The owner noticed the Akra’s steel exhaust hanger in the hardware bag, examined its raw weld, and suggested, “Let’s do this too to protect it from ever rusting and possibly failing.”

Turnaround was 24 hours and I’d forgotten to even ask about pricing. When I pick it up and asked what I owed he took a rough end-to-end measurement, punched a few keys on his calculator, and said, “Let’s call it $72 even with tax.”

Relieved and overjoyed I handed him a $100 bill and said, “Let’s call it $100 even with tip.”

This was the first part I ever had ceramic coated and I could not be happier with the results. The bike’s now 2 years old with 15K miles and the header looks as good today as it does in the attached pre-installation photos.

When the bike’s hot the heat radiated by the header feels only a few degrees above ambient at most. After the initial test ride me and my son both used our fingers as crude (and delicate) temperature gauges to try to detect the radiated heat.

Stupidity apparently being hereditary, both of us ended up accidentally touching the pipe before we felt anything - and then it was a blistering holy-mother-of-god hot!

But the coating, applied internally and externally, performs exemplary in routing all that heat out the exhaust tip instead of heat soaking nearby mechanical parts and the rider’s body parts. There’s supposedly some performance advantage to this but greatest benefit is a cooler running bike for the rider and a header that will likely always look as good as the day it was installed.

Highly recommended - particularly for those who ride in hot, wet and/or salty conditions.

I’m currently debating between the Akrapovik or Remus headers for my 1250, and which ever I decide upon will certainly receive the same treatment from the same shop.

Finally, when I asked about possible color options the owner remarked, “We’re a form follows function performance shop, not a make it pretty place.” I forget the actual product name used but he said it was currently the absolute best available for reducing radiated heat and long term durability - and that when something demonstrably better comes along he would he would not hesitate to switch to the new product (as they’ve done several times in their 20+ year history).

647F196F-A53D-4079-9598-05BBF1593089.jpeg C4C4C362-810F-4868-8AFA-6828EC498CB6.jpeg 5DFD950D-CEBC-436F-B5E0-96B80CAAAA96.jpeg BEF663F8-88FD-484E-BE06-1FEC4A2BA43F.jpeg 76FA250A-9721-4D09-9152-2D8C31F9581B.jpeg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts