R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fun and games with my GS adventure! I was having problems with the battery - wasn't charging properly and sometimes would fail to start (thankfully I have a battery booster)
I had a long trip coming up (London to Glasgow) so I got the battery replaced at the shop from where I bought the bike and suffice to say - the trip went well and the bike was faultless!

Last week the charging gremlins returned but this time I cracked out the voltmeter to see what was going on...
Battery voltage: 12.6V - should be more than enough to start the bike but wasn't - just getting click, click, click from the starter solenoid.
Once I got the bike running, I measured again and I'm getting 14.5V so good news, the alternator is behaving too.

Finally I took a look at the battery connectors - obviously new battery, they are nice and clean but the ring connectors were manky - quick clean with sandpaper and a liberal coating with copper grease and all is well.

If I'd checked those first I might have saved myself £60 but there you go...

TL;DR: Keep your battery terminals and connectors clean and coated in copper grease!

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is exactly the problem that I had. New R1250 GSA last spring. By the end of summer the bike would leave me stranded. I’d be riding and stop for gas and after filling-up it wouldn’t start. As you said, click-click-click.

The charge indicator said 14.5 volts. I brought the battery to the dealer for testing and he said it was fine. He also said that “with these bikes its never the battery”. Not so sure..

Anyway, I bought a good Opticharge battery maintainer/conditioner and have had the batter connected all winter. Maybe the slow, deep charge will make a difference.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts