R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new 2015 R1200GSA. It has only 100 miles on it, all from me. When going at anything above 40mph I get what feels like a hammer tapping sometimes in the middle between the foot pegs. Engine runs great i LOVE the bike. Just took it to the dealership and the master tech took it for a ride. He said that since the pegs are not rubber I am feeling the swing arm move. This is my first road bike in a long time but I ride in the dirt and woods often and my Husaberg does not do this. He says it will get better as the bike breaks in. Anyone else heard or have experienced this?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a brand new 2015 R1200GSA. It has only 100 miles on it, all from me. When going at anything above 40mph I get what feels like a hammer tapping sometimes in the middle between the foot pegs. Engine runs great i LOVE the bike. Just took it to the dealership and the master tech took it for a ride. He said that since the pegs are not rubber I am feeling the swing arm move. This is my first road bike in a long time but I ride in the dirt and woods often and my Husaberg does not do this. He says it will get better as the bike breaks in. Anyone else heard or have experienced this?

Thanks,
Tim
I have same thing on my 2014GS with 4500 miles on it. It doesn't happen all the time but I can feel it when ever it does and this is my first GS I got it used. I called the dealer they said they all do that. Over the weekend I test rode 2016 GS it has same tapping.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've noticed the same with my 2014 GSWA.
I have around 2500 miles on it but I think that the tires contribute to
The chatter as well as the fact there is no rubber foot pegs!!
I think that makes me feel it a lot more.
Just a thought!

·
Mad.Max
1 Posts
My 2014 GSA does this too but I'm not sure it should be so bad as it detracts from the riding experience and could be a design flaw with the new 1200GSA LC bike, I mean 16k for a bike that has a knocking sensation through pegs not good...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Peg chatter

I've always ridden with the rubber inserts since day one. Have never experienced anything through the pegs. My riding is always street so I have no need for straight metal pegs.

Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree, if I plop down 23K it should be smooth ride with no weird sensation through the foot begs. I ride a 2010 Husaberg with no such problem and of course it has metal foot pegs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree, if I plop down 23K it should be smooth ride with no weird sensation through the foot begs. I ride a 2010 Husaberg with no such problem and of course it has metal foot pegs.
But the motor is also different.
Opposed cylinders do give you a different feeling!
I'm really thinking a lot of my sensation at the pegs is from the tires.
I have conti. Trail atac.
With 2500 miles there not what I would chose but they were on the bike, next will be Heidenau K60 scouts had them on my F800GS
And loved them.
What are you running for tires?
Miles run on the tires?
Could make a difference of what you are feeling and not be a problem with the BMW!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am running whatever the stock street tires are. I now have over 700 miles on the bike and still the chatter. I am getting used to it.
Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
1 Posts
Toolpilot - have a look at my posts at advrider.com "engine noise - Bigguy).
I am having the same problem, 2015 GSA has been at dealer over 4 weeks, new rear shock, new drive shaft, now he ordered new transmission to fix it.
very frustrating

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Toolpilot - have a look at my posts at advrider.com "engine noise - Bigguy).
I am having the same problem, 2015 GSA has been at dealer over 4 weeks, new rear shock, new drive shaft, now he ordered new transmission to fix it.
very frustrating
I just do not get it. There must be some slop somewhere in the suspension. With all the "German Engineering" you would think it was as smooth as butter but then again I own a VW Diesel...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just do not get it. There must be some slop somewhere in the suspension. With all the "German Engineering" you would think it was as smooth as butter but then again I own a VW Diesel...
Wow! I'm so relieved to find this thread. I just bought a brand new 2015 GS and that tapping in the pegs is driving me nuts. I have the rubber foot pads on and it is quite distinct. Whatever it is, it's not engine or transmission related. I've pulled in the clutch and let the bike coast and there is no change. My first instinct was that the center-stand or side-stand was bouncing against the frame. But I was able to eliminate that as a possibility. I also doubt it has anything to do with the tires. It's not a vibration but a *clunk* feeling.

The most frustrating part is that I've had the dealer tech inspect it 3 times! and all they say is that they don't feel anything. It's so obvious and constant that I have a hard time swallowing that answer. I just wish they would say it's normal and explain it instead of leaving me paranoid.

I'm starting to wonder if it's the ESA/rear shock assembly. It rotates about 10 degrees back and forth clunking a little at the extremes. Maybe an elastic band between it and the frame would provide some answers..... I'm going to try that this weekend.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'm having a hard time imagining what you mean by a "chatter" in the pegs. That doesn't sound right and I've never felt anything that I would describe that way using either the stock pegs or my SW-Motech pegs. The bike is a twin boxer with some vibration and I run TKC80 knobbies on my 1200GS and feel some of the vibration from the knobs at low speed but never a chatter in the pegs. Does it actually make a chattering sound? Or is it just some vibration?

·
Registered
60 Posts
It feels like you are riding over tar snakes on the road when it is flat. Every now and then a light bump can be felt through the pegs; first time I pulled over to ensure the centre stand was not bouncing. I read over the on Adventure Rider forum this is a common thing and to not worry about it but still, what causes it? No one can answer this question but I believe it is something internal. Performance is not affected, and it is not all the time. Hmmm

·
Registered
363 Posts
Does it go away, or change with speed? On my 50/50 tires, i get vibration between 45 to 55 mph, then it goes away...I feel on foot pegs

Kam

1 - 20 of 21 Posts