R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my GS a few months ago and it came with Vario luggage. I was looking for a way to stow my rain gear on the left pannier as its odd shaped an sort of useless. I rolled up my rain gear and stuffed it in the upper side and was not happy. I tried everywhere and thought the lid would be great but how to secure it. Then I looked over and saw a bungee net laying in the tool box and the gears started turning. After a few minutes I saw screws in the interior of the Varios the hold the aluminum shells on and had some 1/4" cable clamps and it all came together. Unfortunately the bungee net I had was too big so I started looking on the internet for one sized properly and low and behold Harbor Freight had the perfect sized net and prices at around $4 minus 20%. Went and picked one up and outfitted the top case as a beta test. The fit and function was so good I ended up going back and getting two more cargo nets and another trip to Lowes to get another 10 pack of 1/4" cable clips to do the L/R pannier lids.

So for about $15 I outfitted all 3 Varios with lid nets making the Varios even more flexible.

While I was at Harbor Freight I also picked up a Velcro LED under cabinet light for $7 and it works perfect for lighting the top case.

Then with necessity being the other of all invention and coming from a Guzzi background (cheaper is better) I set to work on a set of deflectors to keep my toes from getting wet. I had a section of 1/4" rubber mat from Tractor Supply and bought a few 3/4" rubberized conduit clamps and some machine screws at Lowes and a hour later sucess. I did use CAD (cardboard aided design) to make templates then it was down hill from there.

All told the mods cost about $100 ($22 in parts and $78 in beer).

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
I bought my GS a few months ago and it came with Vario luggage. I was looking for a way to stow my rain gear on the left pannier as its odd shaped an sort of useless. I rolled up my rain gear and stuffed it in the upper side and was not happy. I tried everywhere and thought the lid would be great but how to secure it. Then I looked over and say a bungee net laying in the tool box and the gears started turning. After a few minutes I saw screw in the interior of the panniers and had some cable clamps and it all came together. Unfortunately the bungee net I had was too big so I started looking on the internet for one sized properly and low and behold Harbor Freight had the perfect sized net and prices at around $4 - 20% it was worth a shot. When and picked one up and the fit was perfect. In fact it fit so well I ended up going back and getting two more and a trip to Lowes to get another 10 pack of 1.4" cable clips.

So for about $15 I outfitted all 3 Varios with lid nets making the Varios even more flexible.

While I was at Harbor Freight I also picked up a Velcro LED under cabinet light for $7 and it works perfect for lighting the top case.

Then with necessity being the other of all invention and coming from a Guzzi background (cheaper is better) I set to work on a set of deflectors to keep my toes from getting wet. I had a section of 1/4" rubber mat from Tractor Supply and bought a few 3/4" rubberized conduit clamps and some machine screws at Lowes and a hour later function. I did use CAD (cardboard aided design) to make templates then it was down hill from there.

All told the mods cost about $100 ($27 in parts and $77 in beer).

Mudflap addition

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If you still have the tag for the net could you post a picture?
Motorcycle cargo net 12" x 15" Harbor Freight part number 50152 . Remove the hooks and your all set.

1/4" nylon cable clamps, Lowes - Item # 139498 Model # 881298

Attachments

·
Registered
782 Posts
That's cool. How do you secure the cargo nets? are they affixed "permanently," ie, screwed into place? or do you utilize hooks? or something else? I couldn't see from your pics

Thanks

John

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That's cool. How do you secure the cargo nets? are they affixed "permanently," ie, screwed into place? or do you utilize hooks? or something else? I couldn't see from your pics

Thanks

John

The cargo net is affixed with the five (5) cable clamps and the cargo net stretched enough to slide what ever you want to secure behind it.

An added bonus is if you route the lid stay strings like mine when you close the lid the spring tension of the elastic pulls the lid stay strings slightly inwards so no more pinching them in the lid.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts