R1200GS Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Are u saying the washer goes right in the areas circled in green ?

between part number 6 and part number 12?

Also what is part number 8? It looks to be an existing spacer at the end of the axle.
Are u saying the washer goes right in the areas circled in green ? Yes

between part number 6 and part number 12? No, between part number 8 and part number 12. When all is mounted, part number 6 will go through it and still tighten to the screw number 12.

Also what is part number 8? It looks to be an existing spacer at the end of the axle. That is the washer/spacer that is glued/fixed to the bracket number 10. The problem is that it is not thick enough and that is why you are putting one washer to make it thicker.

Just for the informarion, the part number 10 consists in two parts. You can see on the image one bushing that is inserted inside the bracket and it doesn't come out. Part number 6 slides through that bushing making the windscreen adjustable. So, the bushing (10) is fixed inside the bracket (10). In the picture it is shown outside of it but when you look at your mechanism you almost won't be able to see it, Part number 8 is bellow the bracket, just like in the picure. It is outside the bracket but it is fixed onto it and will not fall of.
The problematic part is number 8. The axle (6) goes through the bushing inside the bracket, then through the part number 8. Your washer will just build more thickness to the part number 8 and the part number 6 has to go through that washer you put, too, just like it goes through the part number 8.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you this is super useful and I love the itemized responses.

Also is it possible to tighten the screw and hold the axle rather than the other way around like you did it where you were turning the axle instead of the screw?

also where did you get your washer because I’m trying to figure out what washer size meets the requirements for the inner diameter hole size.

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Does this mean that what’s clattering or causing the collttering is a small excess space at the end of the axles between part number six and part number 12 on the above diagram which allows the axle itself to move up and down ?

also what do you mean by “ if ur still moves that means it touched the washer while tightening the bolt”?

are you referring to the axle getting caught up/not passing through the washer while tightening the bolts?

also what type of locking pliers did u use ?

channel lock or vise grips ?
Does this mean that what’s clattering or causing the collttering is a small excess space at the end of the axles between part number six and part number 12 on the above diagram which allows the axle itself to move up and down ? Yes

also what do you mean by “ if ur still moves that means it touched the washer while tightening the bolt”? It means the washer wasn't centered properly and the axle instead of going through it, it sits on top of it. You will know if you try to shake the axle up and down and it moves. After the job was properly done, the axle has to be rock solid.

also what type of locking pliers did u use ? channel lock or vise grips ? I used channel lock

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Also is it possible to tighten the screw and hold the axle rather than the other way around like you did it where you were turning the axle instead of the screw?

also where did you get your washer because I’m trying to figure out what washer size meets the requirements for the inner diameter hole size.
I was not able to turn the screw because there was barely enough space to insert the torx key of this kind, but not to turn it:
Font Auto part Cylinder Fashion accessory Electronics accessory

I found the washer in the box where I keep a lot of washers. Don't worry about the washer thickness or size. Any size or thickness will work as long as inside hole diameter is right. I'm sure you'll find washer with 9mm hole in your local hardware store. Just ask for M9 washer.
Here is example:
M9 Washer

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Did you ever confirm whether or not the bike did or didn’t do this clattering when you first got it brand new?

I ask because honestly I’ve always recalled hearing a obnoxious cluttering when going over bumps or accelerating at lower p.m. and hire gears I just didn’t put it together or notice it immediately at first because I was used to a bike that has keys in the ignition or something loose to jingle around/collater around when you’re going over bumps

Additionally, I wonder if this is actually something that has broken or worn out on our bikes or if it’s just a shitty design and does that from day one.

you said you also looked at your axles and your lower bolts also had a big enough space to allow them to move up and down and clatter correct?
The clattering was there from new but not that much. The axles were lubricated with Staburags from factory and as the lube disappeared by time (washing, rain, dust), the clattering got worse. My first attempt was lubricating the sliding mechanism with Staburags again. I made a lot of mess and cluttering just got a little better but was still there.
From my point of veiw, it's just down to bad design. The factory wanted to have the axle loose a bit but they didn't think it could clatter. With the work I've done, the axle is rock solid and it's all good for me. Done many miles since the washer installation and everything still looks perfect for me.
And yes, it is correct to say when I first inspected the axles they had enough space to move up and down.
I also have big aftermarket screen (Wunderlich Marathon). It is heavier then OEM so it may make the things worse. I have the recommended extra brackets for big screens but those support the screen to prevent the horizontal shake, not the vertical and the problem is the vertical movement/shake/clatter when you go over a bumps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was not able to turn the screw because there was barely enough space to insert the torx key of this kind, but not to turn it:
View attachment 34246
I found the washer in the box where I keep a lot of washers. Don't worry about the washer thiscness or size. Any size or thickness will work as long as inside hole diameter is right. I'm sure you'll find washer with 9mm hole in your local hardware store. Just ask for M9 washer.
Here is example:
M9 Washer
so it doesn’t matter if the overall diameter of the washer is larger than the overall diameter of the axle and bolt so it sticks out and isn’t flush?

·
Registered
21 Posts
The clattering was there from new but not that much. The axles were lubricated with Staburags from factory and as the lube disappeared by time (washing, rain, dust), the clattering got worse. My first attempt was lubricating the sliding mechanism with Staburags again. I made a lot of mess and cluttering just got a little better but was still there.
From my point of veiw, it's just down to bad design. The factory wanted to have the axle loose a bit but they didn't think it could clatter. With the work I've done, the axle is rock solid and it's all good for me. Done many miles since the washer installation and everything still looks perfect for me.
And yes, it is correct to say when I first inspected the axles they had enough space to move up and down.
I also have big aftermarket screen (Wunderlich Marathon). It is heavier then OEM so it may make the things worse. I have the recommended extra brackets for big screens but those support the screen to prevent the horizontal shake, not the vertical and the problem is the vertical movement/shake/clatter when you go over a bumps.
It’s interesting you say vertical versus horizontal because my axles don’t seem to have any vertical movement they have a lot of horizontal movement to the point where that seems to be where I can force them to make a noise if I hold them and jiggle them by hand.

also does your adjustment mechanism still work the way it did before you added the washers?

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
It’s interesting you say vertical versus horizontal because my axles don’t seem to have any vertical movement they have a lot of horizontal movement to the point where that seems to be where I can force them to make a noise if I hold them and jiggle them by hand.

also does your adjustment mechanism still work the way it did before you added the washers?
You are correct and my memory is a bit short as it was some time ago. What I wanted to say is that the extra bracket provide support for forward-backwards movement (not horizontal) but not for side-to-side movement (not vertical).
And now that you talked about jiggling the axles, yes, now I remember that they moved exactly like that on my bike, making that clattering noise.
My mechanism works well. I keep it lubricared (any lube will work) and clean. However, I never touch it while I ride. If I have to make any adjustment, I stop and turn the knob with one hand and with other hand I grab the top of the screen and help it move. As I have the extra brackets, I have to release the knobs on those brackets first.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You are correct and my memory is a bit short as it was some time ago. What I wanted to say is that the extra bracket provide support for forward-backwards movement (not horizontal) but not for side-to-side movement (not vertical).
And now that you talked about jiggling the axles, yes, now I remember that they moved exactly like that on my bike, making that clattering noise.
My mechanism works well. I keep it lubricared (any lube will work) and clean. However, I never touch it while I ride. If I have to make any adjustment, I stop and turn the knob with one hand and with other hand I grab the top of the screen and help it move. As I have the extra brackets, I have to release the knobs on those brackets first.
hey there man.

Sorry to revive this dead thread.
I’m going to be finally installing the washer in order to fix the rattling noise and I was wondering if after doing so on your bike do you have any type of buzzing or vibration that makes an audible noise at 6000-6500 rpm.

i’ve noticed that my bike has a really prominent buzzing sound that seems to come from the cockpit area whenever you hold the RPM at 6000 to 6500 for any particular reason whether it’s downshifting and the revs happen to-pass through that range, or literally just putting the bike in neutral and intentionally revving it to that rpm and holding it there.

I have not directly tested this noise against another 1250 GSA but it does sound a lot like it could be coming from something rattling/vibrating in the cockpit at a particular frequency/particular rpm

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
That kind of buzzing I didn't have before or after the washers installation. But, it could be related, I don't know. You'll only know after the washers installation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That kind of buzzing I didn't have before or after the washers installation. But, it could be related, I don't know. You'll only know after the washers installation.
One more question for clarification.

In earlier posts I asked and got an answer regarding your axles and whether they moved/jiggled before the additional washer but I’ve never asked if they rotated/spun

I noticed that a good amount of noise is also created from the axles spinning in place even once both screws on top and bottom have been tightened.

did your axles spin in place before you added the washer and did that fix/resolve that problem as well as the jiggling?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Are u saying the washer goes right in the areas circled in green ? Yes

between part number 6 and part number 12? No, between part number 8 and part number 12. When all is mounted, part number 6 will go through it and still tighten to the screw number 12.

Also what is part number 8? It looks to be an existing spacer at the end of the axle. That is the washer/spacer that is glued/fixed to the bracket number 10. The problem is that it is not thick enough and that is why you are putting one washer to make it thicker.

Just for the informarion, the part number 10 consists in two parts. You can see on the image one bushing that is inserted inside the bracket and it doesn't come out. Part number 6 slides through that bushing making the windscreen adjustable. So, the bushing (10) is fixed inside the bracket (10). In the picture it is shown outside of it but when you look at your mechanism you almost won't be able to see it, Part number 8 is bellow the bracket, just like in the picure. It is outside the bracket but it is fixed onto it and will not fall of.
The problematic part is number 8. The axle (6) goes through the bushing inside the bracket, then through the part number 8. Your washer will just build more thickness to the part number 8 and the part number 6 has to go through that washer you put, too, just like it goes through the part number 8.
One follow-up question regarding this as well.
Did the part number 8 bearing /bushing on bottom or the number 5 bushing /bearing on top shows signs of being deteriorated/broken ?

Font Auto part Motor vehicle Machine Engineering

I ask because I’m trying to figure out if the rattling might be coming from that bushing being broken or defective or if seems to just happen regardless

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
One more question for clarification.

In earlier posts I asked and got an answer regarding your axles and whether they moved/jiggled before the additional washer but I’ve never asked if they rotated/spun

I noticed that a good amount of noise is also created from the axles spinning in place even once both screws on top and bottom have been tightened.

did your axles spin in place before you added the washer and did that fix/resolve that problem as well as the jiggling?
I cant tell you for sure but as they were loose I could bet they were spinning freely.

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
One follow-up question regarding this as well.
Did the part number 8 bearing /bushing on bottom or the number 5 bushing /bearing on top shows signs of being deteriorated/broken ?

I ask because I’m trying to figure out if the rattling might be coming from that bushing being broken or defective or if seems to just happen regardless
As I explained before, nothing is broken. It's just the design that has been made that way and if you want to fix it, try not to overthink the whole thing. You could have done it already.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts