R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys . what do ye use to clean the rims . i was going to try wd40 . has anyone here tried this

·
Registered
39 Posts
I’d be wary of WD40. While it’s great for many things, water displacement and as a light lubricant most notably, it was never intended as a cleaner and is not particularly good at it - compared to products that are. And as a safety matter, anything sprayed on the wheels often ends up on the tires...

Finally, WD40 leaves behind a thin film that can become a magnet for brake dust and dirt - requiring more frequent cleanings.

In a pinch, I wouldn’t hesitate to spray it on a rag and using it to soften and loosen bits of tar and grime before a thorough wash (but a dedicated bug & tar remover would work better).

I’m a big fan of S100 because I like using one product that can do it all and do it well. Safely. If I haven’t let get things get out of hand, S100 and my power washer work perfectly 95% of the time.

If a wheel has been neglected I use Simple Green straight or in a 50/50 mix with water. Let it dwell (but not dry), agitate with non-marring bristle brushes and microfiber towels, let it dwell some more, and blast it off with my power washer - avoiding wheel bearings and such.

On cast wheels, I like to wipe them down with any decent “spray and shine” product afterwards. Helps repel grime and brake dust, and makes subsequent cleanings much easier. Good luck!

·
Reprobate
136 Posts
I'm another fan of S100. Spray it on, let it sit for a minute (but not dry), then rinse off thoroughly. Using soapy water and a sponge I never manage to get the grit around the base of the spokes, but S100 takes it right off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’d be wary of WD40. While it’s great for many things, water displacement and as a light lubricant most notably, it was never intended as a cleaner and is not particularly good at it - compared to products that are. And as a safety matter, anything sprayed on the wheels often ends up on the tires...

Finally, WD40 leaves behind a thin film that can become a magnet for brake dust and dirt - requiring more frequent cleanings.

In a pinch, I wouldn’t hesitate to spray it on a rag and using it to soften and loosen bits of tar and grime before a thorough wash (but a dedicated bug & tar remover would work better).

I’m a big fan of S100 because I like using one product that can do it all and do it well. Safely. If I haven’t let get things get out of hand, S100 and my power washer work perfectly 95% of the time.

If a wheel has been neglected I use Simple Green straight or in a 50/50 mix with water. Let it dwell (but not dry), agitate with non-marring bristle brushes and microfiber towels, let it dwell some more, and blast it off with my power washer - avoiding wheel bearings and such.

On cast wheels, I like to wipe them down with any decent “spray and shine” product afterwards. Helps repel grime and brake dust, and makes subsequent cleanings much easier. Good luck!
thank you very much . i have use s100 its good. i find it great on the bike but not on the rims i wash my bike every week as i use it all year round its my only mode of transport. i used wd40 today i didn't spray it on the rims . just onto a cloth they now look like new . once we are out of lock down .from covid 19. i will let you know how it holds up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
On my 2016 triple black I used SC1 spray it on plastic, engine, drive train and of course the black rims makes the bike look brand new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts