R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my 2016 GS second-hand. The bike is in great shape in general, but I can't easily remove the built-up, oily grime on the wheels. When I rub it with my finger, there's a noticeable residue that comes off. Can anyone recommend a product that could help? I've tried simple soap (doesn't do anything) and a Magic Eraser (worked a bit). I poked around in the forum threads, but didn't really see anything that addressed this specifically. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just purchased my 2016 GS second-hand. The bike is in great shape in general, but I can't easily remove the built-up, oily grime on the wheels. When I rub it with my finger, there's a noticeable residue that comes off. Can anyone recommend a product that could help? I've tried simple soap (doesn't do anything) and a Magic Eraser (worked a bit). I poked around in the forum threads, but didn't really see anything that addressed this specifically. Thanks.

View attachment 27086
I bought a used 2014 last year. I had a similar issue. I used Bar Keepers Friend - Cleanser with a pots and pan scrubber and of course elbow grease.
Worked great! My rims look brand new. Best of luck. Test it in a small area first of course.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@enzo5000 I tried a couple we had here, and they worked about as well as the Magic Eraser: i.e., not very much. I appreciate the suggestion.

@BoulderBuckeye thanks, I'll give that a try. Did you use the powder or liquid?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would try water pressure with the widest-angle tip (40 degree in the one we have), so as not to be too aggressive

·
Registered
11 Posts

View attachment 27086
I use this, it’s pretty close to effortless: Sonax (230200-755) Wheel Cleaner Full Effect - 16.9 fl. oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UT3S6Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_rxcGzXny68inH

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would apply kerosene with an old paint brush....let it soak and the use soap (Dawn), a toothbrush, hot water, and elbow grease. It doesn’t look too bad and will clean up nicely.
I've used the same technique and it works. After it's all cleaned up WAX the wheels. Makes clean up easier later.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this problem with my old Blackbird (painted wheels) and used WD-40 - took the gunk right off - then washed the bike with Meguiar's. Worked really well and will be trying it now on my new GS.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts