R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
MCYC
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just added a set of Clearwater Krista lights to my 2011 R1200GS. The BMW technician was really impressed with the build quality of the electrical harness and the lights themselves. They are compatible with the bike's canbus and tap into the high beam and horn switch, the latter being a super-cool way to let people know you are coming.

The lights are extremely bright and equally efficient and they can be switched off altogether with a switch mounted to the fairing. There is also a rheostat to adjust brightness levels.

I just did a 3,400 km tour through the Quebec wilderness and these lights lit up the dark mountain roads and made night riding feel much safer. Normally, I drive in my home town of Toronto where there are approximately 5 million people in the greater urban area, and the Kristas make me more visible to traffic.

These lights might be a little pricey, but they look as though they came stock with the bike and exemplify the build quality one would expect to see on an R1200GS.

·
Reprobate
142 Posts
Count me as another very happy Clearwater customer!

I wanted lights for conspicuity, but also needed to throw serious light downrange while night riding in our very rural part of the world. I chose Kristas for my GS and love them! I dial them down to low for general riding, but when I hit the high beams it's like riding with miniature suns up front. :D

Coming back from Missouri this past summer on the GSA without Kristas I found myself riding at night a lot to avoid the brutal heat. The OEM lighting just doesn't illuminate a lot so I'll be adding Kristas to that bike as well.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I was on a trip from NC to CA so, when in the Sacramento area, I went by the Clearwater's facility. I met Glenn Stasky and he showed me around. I had interest in his Glenda lights but, when I saw the demonstration of the Kristas, I reached for my wallet.

When I got home, the lights were waiting for me and I installed them with no difficulty at all. These lights are bright! Recently, on a ride out to Oklahoma, I had to ride several miles at night. My HID headlight does a great job but the Kristas really light up the world!

Glenn sends you everything you need in a top-quality package. They might be a little pricy but you really get what you pay for with this product!

Mike

·
MCYC
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you post some photos showing the *guts* where it conects to the electrical parts and how it looks as well? :)
I will do my best, but the problem/beauty is that the wiring is all tucked away running along with the other, stock electrical wiring. I had BMW install mine and the tech went as far as running the cables through a conduit, as though they were factory installed.

I'll post pics though...

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Can you post some photos showing the *guts* where it conects to the electrical parts and how it looks as well? :)
I've an '09 GSA and my Kristas were replacements for a different set of lights that were wired via the OEM harness. Clearwater sends two pigtails with waterproof connectors so all you do is splice them in via Posi-locks or solder. From there, it's plug and play. Here's how I mounted mine:

PIAA bar mounts were used to attach the Kristas to the tank guard. If you have a GSA with the original wiring, tell them when you order and they'll make the pigtail with OEM connectors. Easy.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
On a recent ride, I had to negotiate about twenty miles of very dark, deer infested roads in a remote part of Oklahoma. I had three Harleys following me. When I turned on the Kristas, they counldn't believe it! I thought my HID headlights were bright but the Kristas easily overpowered them. These high quality lights are very bright!

Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm in the process of wiring new Kristas on my '12 GS. One question I have as I'm not real comfortable with wiring. Do you guys know what color and where I can tap into the horn wire? And what and where is the best switched hot wire to tap in to. Krista directions just say tap into the horn and a switched wire...
I need a picture or very specific description or I'm sure to mess it up...
Thanks for any help.
Fred

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I'm in the process of wiring new Kristas on my '12 GS. One question I have as I'm not real comfortable with wiring. Do you guys know what color and where I can tap into the horn wire? And what and where is the best switched hot wire to tap in to. Krista directions just say tap into the horn and a switched wire...
I need a picture or very specific description or I'm sure to mess it up...
Thanks for any help.
Fred
Fred, I didn't use the horn option but, from the diagram, you use (from the Clearwater supplied harness) the white wire and tap into either of the two horn wires. The horn on my '09 GSA is on the throttle side of the machine and can be accessed without removing the panels or the tank. It's a little tight in there but you should be able to do it.

Mike

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey guys, just finish installing the Clearwater Fog lights on My GSA and loving it so far. I broke one of my stock foglights offroad, so I was going to upgrade. This look very tough and at night makes a big difference and during the day it is SO much more visible. Surprising, have not had any complains from incoming traffic, but I guess I keep on the lowest setting.
I did the Horn option and I am very happy with it. It is amazing how much bright it gets when you hit the horn, in fact, I think already helped me once when this lady on SUV on the phone, start to merge in front of me, I figure that she may not hear the BMW stock horn, but with the super bright lights, it did the trick. She went right back into her lane... ::)
Installation for a GSA is very easy, plug and play, the hardest part was to get the horns for the wire....
Cheers
David

·
Registered
1 Posts
Krista light mount

Did you use the Clearwater light bar that mounts under the (beak).
If you did,how did you like it,compared to other mounting bars on the
market.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got mine all hooked up with the horn switch and all. MAN these babies are bright! Absolutely love them cruising through deer country at night.
I wasn't sure where to mount the on/off switch so I called the guys at Krista.
There is a perfect spot on our bikes. All you need is a 1/2" bit and center the hole in the plastic over the one in the frame. Here is a pic of mine mounted.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the Clearwater Glendas (smaller than the Kristas) and really like them. Was thinking of adding Kristas to throw more light down the road for higher speed night riding.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the Clearwater Glendas on my F800GS. Very impressive for such small lights. Now I figure the Kristas will be perfect for the R1200GS when It comes in. That and the Factory LED headlight should make night riding in the mountains much more fun.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Accessories > Clearwater Krista Lights

I had the Clearwater Glendas on my F800GS. Very impressive for such small lights. Now I figure the Kristas will be perfect for the R1200GS when It comes in. That and the Factory LED headlight should make night riding in the mountains much more fun.
With the lighting you'll have, I wouldn't be afraid to do the Caliente-Bodfish Road at midnight!

Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have done that ride frequently and have done it a few times at night. Extra light that fans out is most helpful in the tight turns. I figure you have a story about this road. There are many fun roads around here, but I try to avoid them at night. Too many deer and and other large critters:).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Have you guys seen the Skene light controller?
It allows you to use you aux LED lighting from the stock switch, and also serves the purpose of a relay. And it has two outputs so you can easily add a second set of lights later on. It's also easily programmable in steps from 0% to 100% when on low beam, and full bright when the high beams are on. It uses a switched power tap (I used the parking light) and a tap on the high-beam wire.

I used it for a Rigid Industries 6" "Spectre" light bar that mounts over the fender on the fork tubes. Several advantages to this mount: it turns with the front wheel, and it sits in a spot where it won't get smashed or torn off if you dump the bike. This light bar can be ordered in white or amber, or white with a snap-on amber cover (this is what I have). I wanted to be seen more than anything else, but these lights throw over 3000 lumens when in full power. Technically not legal on full power with oncoming traffic, which is a good reason to use the Skene controller and the stock high beam switch.

I ordered the whole setup (fork mounts, light bar, Skene) from Black Dog Cycle Works. The whole nut was something like $460. I plan to order a set of something else (probably Clearwaters) to mount up higher, and to use the second output of the Skene. The new lights will also follow the same programmed brightness and functionality with the high beam switch.
The Skene also delays turning on the lighting for 15-20 seconds after turning on the ignition so that they're not on when you start the bike. And programming is chimp-simple: turn on the key, wait for the lights to flash twice. Within 3 seconds, hit the high beam switch rapidly 3 times. The controller will answer back with 3 flashes, indicating program mode. Then just hit the high beam to cycle through all steps in 10% increments until you are on the brightness you like for the low beams. Then just shut it off.
If I know I'm going to be riding at night, I run the lows at 30% so I don't blind anyone. But for daytime visibility I run them at 50%, which is still incredibly bright. And at full power...HOLY CRAP they're bright. And they're arranged in a row of 9 LED's, the center 3 are a long spot beam out in front, and the two sets of three on each side are more of a flood to light up the sides of the road.

I don't have a pic handy, but if you go to Black Dog's website you can see what I'm talking about. This light bar was a big hit with the class at RawHyde, and the coaches really liked it as well. My favorite thing is that I've dumped the bike 4-5 times without touching that light a single time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts