R1200GS Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
2010 GS- I've been riding this bike for about 3 weeks now. Loving it, but I noticed right away that the shifting of this bike seems clunky, Especially going from 1-2. Going 2-3 isn't so bad, and 3-4 is even better, smoother. One in ever 10 times I seem to be able to smooth out that 1-2 shift. I Youtubed it, found a good video on preloading the shifter slightly before pulling in the clutch. The comments reflected this as great advice. So I'm going to try this. I've also read that shifting faster results in more smoothness. But I suppose that depends if you become more sloppy with the controls when you go faster. I tend to do this, but with practice...

Any of you guys have anything to add? Thanks!!

View attachment 33761
My 2016 also clunks from 1-2 but I also found using 2 finger s on the clutch lessens it to sometimes perfect shift other time clunk, even with the shift assist it clunks from 1-2...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
from Cape Town,South Africa
Having bought my VERY FIRST 1200GS (2010/46,000km/28,750mls) and after having owned a number of 700/750gs's I can tell you that shifting on ALL OF 'EM have their "challenges" (with all due respect to the brand).
I can offer a few suggestions to aid in smoother shifting:
1: Make sure the bike is warmed up ie. after travelling maybe 5km/3mls.
2: Make sure your shifting is positive and QUICK!!! (DON'T FART ABOUT!).
and finally...
3: It seems to work smoothest in the 3,500rpm area.
Any comments, positive or otherwise, will be most welcome.
RIDE SAFE...ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS WEAR THE CORRECT GEAR (RATHER SWEAT THAN BLEED)...AND REMEMBER "It's not about how fast you can GO...it's about how fast you can STOP!!!
interesting about the 3500 RPM, that's is accurate for me, thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
from Cape Town,South Africa
Having bought my VERY FIRST 1200GS (2010/46,000km/28,750mls) and after having owned a number of 700/750gs's I can tell you that shifting on ALL OF 'EM have their "challenges" (with all due respect to the brand).
I can offer a few suggestions to aid in smoother shifting:
1: Make sure the bike is warmed up ie. after travelling maybe 5km/3mls.
2: Make sure your shifting is positive and QUICK!!! (DON'T FART ABOUT!).
and finally...
3: It seems to work smoothest in the 3,500rpm area.
Any comments, positive or otherwise, will be most welcome.
RIDE SAFE...ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS WEAR THE CORRECT GEAR (RATHER SWEAT THAN BLEED)...AND REMEMBER "It's not about how fast you can GO...it's about how fast you can STOP!!!
Thanks for the info.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts