R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a few guys that commit to what we call our annual Epic Adventure. This year's plan is to start at the Four Corners Monument and ride the Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route up to Steamboat; then turn around and ride the Continental Divide track back down to NM.

I'm collecting ride planning stuff and would love to hear from anyone that's done it or knows the area. I've got all the COBDR materials from the BDR guys and I've bought the movie they made so I'm getting up to speed on it.

Also we did the TAT a few years ago so we're familiar with the area from Cotopaxi through Salida, over Marshall Pass to Lake City, and over Cinnamon Pass to Silverton. It looks to me like the COBDR amps up the challenge riding multiple challenge passes a day for a few days.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/cobdr

Giddy up!

·
Registered
27 Posts
COBDR, not yet, but will this summer

There are hours of COBDR video on YouTube. Me and the guys I ride with have watched many of these as we are planning to ride it this summer as well. We’ve decided to ride southward so the hardest section (Ophir pass) is near the end and we will be going down the steepest / hardest part of it. I’ll be on my 1200GSA, there will be 2 KTM690’s and a 310GS. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have watched a couple of the COBDR videos on you tube, Ophir Pass looks like a @#$% challenge on any bike.
Good luck to all going.
Definately have the COBDR on my Bucket List.
I am interested in the comments after the COBDR.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We've planning this for a while looking in to the logistics of being on the right coast and wanting to ride in Colorado. We've considered riding from home out for the ride and then riding back home; we've considered shipping the bikes to a friend's ranch near Jefferson Co; we've considered hauling the bikes out and back leaving the truck/trailer at the ranch; and we've finally settled on flying out to Durango and renting some KTM 690 R Enduros from MountainADV there. They have no problem with us taking their bikes into the mountains on the high pass trails and are pretty reasonable on rental price. The bikes are also very well prepped for this kind of ride - or so we've been told.

We rode a few of these passes on heavily loaded KLRs when we did the TAT a few years ago. There are sections where it's steep and the littered with softball and larger sized rocks and there are some challenging steep switchbacks where you have to keep some speed through a tight steep up hill turn; or, control your speed on steep down hill switchbacks. Us coastal flatlanders get our butts kicked by the altitude as well. I should be a great adventure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts