R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Since I'm not a fan of P.M.S. (parked motorcycle syndrome) I'm looking to expand my cold weather gear. Since I traded up to the R1200GS with its heated grips I'm not in the mood to bother with all the wires and hassle of my Gerbing heated gloves, and am looking for advice on cold weather riding gloves.

The only requirements I have are that they be waterproof, insulated, and have hard armor at least on the knuckles. So far I've found Alpinestars Vega Drystar Gloves and Tourmaster Winter Elite Gloves, although not liking the Tourmaster's due to the lack of hard armor.

Price is not a factor, warmth and protection is. I figure I can always work more and make more money... unless I destroy my hands that is!!!

Thank you in advance,
-Nick

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Rev'It Farenheit H20 have a Phase Change material that seems to work well with heated grips. The have, so far, been completely waterproof. Don't know how well they'll hold up to wear and tear.

// marc

·
Reverend Noob
236 Posts
Held "Ice Breakers" are great; warm without being bulky, Gore-Tex, heavy padding with kevlar. These do not have hard armor however but great protection and feel as though they'll last forever. Held is hard to beat IMHO.

Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
When it gets that cold the only oil I use is the heating oil for the house. I dont ride in really cold weather, but you can use a lighter oil for the winter time. You can probably go to 10-30, this would make easier kick starting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nothing, and I mean nothing, beats a set of Hippo Hands combined with summer gloves and heated grips for warmth, comfort, and control in cold temps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
oem is good

I picked up a pair of bmw cold weather gloves,they appear unique in the sense that they have purposly left the palms uninsulated to help grip heat to come through.The padding or insulation on the outside of the back of your hand seems a little thicker than normal.I used these gloves last winter in newengland as low as 25 deg.far. without heated grips!That was on my G650xc,now that I got on a gsa w/heated grips they might be even better.AS far as water proof I could not say?They are leather and textile combo.Nice gloves!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Victory Gloves sucks!

We were recently traveling through WVA and my cold weather gloves needed replacing. We stopped at a Victory dealer and I purchased some new gloves. The problems is they are slick! I had to stop and get some tennis racquet tape to cover my throttle because I couldn't grip it with the new gloves. I should have tested before we got so far away. If we weren't traveling I would have returned them. So my point is don't buy their gloves!:( By the way there is no BMW dealers in West Virginia.

·
Registered
30 Posts
BMW Prowinter 2

I just picked up a pair of BMW Prowinter 2 gloves. So far, in the rain, snow, and cold, they have been excellent. They're comfortable and fit well and do not hinder my dexterity and ability to use the levers and controls. I paid about $150 CAD for them.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
For a November trip from NC to PA, WVA, KY, VA, I decided to replace my ancient cold weather gloves. I took a pair of BMW's All Around Gloves and was extremely satisfied with them. I experienced temps from the low 20s all the way up to the mid 60s and they, combined with heated grips when needed, were fine. One day of the trip was 100% pouring rain and, with the gloves gauntlets strapped tight inside my rainsuit sleeves, my hands stay perfectly dry. For $75, these are great products.

Mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
My wife got herself a pair of BMW winter gloves and loves them. She doesn't have heated grips and only small hand protectors on her DR200SE, but the gloves keep her hands warm.

Edit: I bought a pair of Frank Thomas gloves that are a piece of crap. My hands get as cold in my summer gloves as in those. Okay, they were a third of the price compared to the BMW my wife has and I needed something right then, but I would never ever buy them again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Held

How about the Held Warm'n'Dry gloves ? They seem to fit the bill although I have not tried them. They are a bit expensive ($199) but you said money is no object. I love my Held Steve gloves and it seems these are similarly well made except for being warmer and waterproof. And with knuckle armor. Anybody tried them ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nothing, and I mean nothing, beats a set of Hippo Hands combined with summer gloves and heated grips for warmth, comfort, and control in cold temps.
+1 on hippo hands. 10-15 deg 20 mi. ride to work was no problem. Frost on the bridges and roads was another problem. A little $$$$ but a good winter acc. And with the thinner gloves I can feel the controls .

·
Super Awesom Person
574 Posts
Well check on Mixxmix promo code I also have them and using them for more than a year. They are too warm and comfortable and can use in both summers and winters.
This thread is from 2012. While an old thread it's still relevant. Altho I'm not sure the items here are still in production:smile2:. I've found the Aerostich rain over gloves and a simple pair of summer gloves along with the handlebar heat set to low is very comfortable down into the 30's with or without rain. https://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-triple-digit-covers.html

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just got a pair of Alpine stars 365's for $50 on Kijijji. Gonna through my snowboard glove shells over'm if it gets to cold. All weather bike glove prices are just stupid high.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Held Warm N Dry, or whatever their current version is called. Served me well in winter and fall.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts