R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all! I've searched up and down for the better part of today. I was riding my '12 on a 250 mile trip playing hookey from work on Friday and 20 miles before I got to my destination (Va Beach). I smelled 90wt really heavily and when i went to downshift to pass a vehicle it wouldnt downshift, on the gear indicator it would go from 6 to blank. After a bit of working it at 35-60mph I could get it to shift with significant effort. I found if i double clutched it, it would engage. I assumed it was a bent shift fork or bad synchro. When i caught a red light I glanced around and saw my left boot coated in oil. Then I realized with the clutch disengaged the sound of the tranny was completely quiet but engaged it was incredibly noisy. Like dogbox noisy. I stopped at a gas station and gave it a look. I got the bike home via truck now. I drained what was left from the tranny and reserviced it. I cleaned up the bike and started her up with the easy panels removed. It took 20 minutes but I figured the gear oil to be leaking from the area where the gearbox and engine mate. I imagine its the input shaft. The mag plug had significant metal on it, the oil was black and full of metal as well. I take this to mean the transmission is cooked. The BMW website has the gearbox listed for a significant amount. I'm thinking ebay or marketplace will be my solution but I want to be armed with information before shopping around. From what I've read around I need a 2010-2012 transmission from a GS. Is there any other options available that will bolt on and be fully functional? Will the clutch pack most likely have gear oil on it and be ruined? Pics to follow.

·
Super Moderator
402 Posts
How many miles are on the bike? The transmissions are pretty durable, a good shop may be able to determine whether repairing is an option. The black gear oil is a bad sign though.

Might want to call Beemerboneyard to see if they have one in stock (website does not show one). They could also offer advice on what years and models (RT/GS/R/C) would work as BMW shares many parts across models. Do some google searches and you can find BMW motorcycle salvage places.

Your clutch is likely toast but in swapping the trans you'll be right there to replace it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well shes got 40K. I genuinely dont think a rebuild would be cheaper than sourcing a replacement and time consuming since I do have a 3 week timeline before I am moving across the country. Thank you for the advice I'll give them a look. I assumed the friction pad on the clutch was soaked in oil as well, but I figured I'd ask since the knowledge here seems pretty vast. I'm hoping I can find a used unit fairly quickly and get her back on the road.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes sir, you got it! I am waiting until the end of the week and then I will tear the bike apart and prolly post up pictures of the carnage. It looks like a replacement black gearbox was going to be $4,600.

·
Not that senior.
701 Posts
Where are you located?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, it was bearing failure causing the ballbearings to displace off of the races and jamb in-between the next bearing and the casing. The gearbox casing being aluminum yielded to the stronger ball bearing and promptly dumped the oil.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts