R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a recent 8000 mile 20 day trip, I experienced constant pain, hot spots and chafing on my stock gsa seat. Recently, I purchased a BMS seat and saw little improvement on a 500 mile ride. The only relief is standing on my pegs Has anyone else experienced this constant discomfort?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Perhaps an Airhawk pad, properly inflated, would provide you some relief. Or maybe a sheepskin from Alaska Leather. Aftermarket seats are an expensive crap shoot. Like boots, what fits one foot (or butt) may not work for another.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have tried different seats on different types of bike and while some are better than others after a few hours in the saddle they all start to hurt. I have found what works best for me is breathability. I start at the butt and if I am on a long ride I alway wear LD Comfort underwear. If not LD Comfort just make sure that what touches your skin doesn't have any seams between your skin and the seat and is not cotton. The other thing is some form of seat pad that breaths. The material on motorcycle seats is designed to be waterproof therefore they don't breath and your butt gets hotspots. Sheepskins and other types of textile wrapped pads allow for some airflow and the more air the better.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have owned three different BMW bikes and all three stock seats were crap, IMO. Some people are lucky and can handle the stock seat.
I found the GS stock seat way to narrow for my butt. Had a Kontour made from the stock seat pan and it didn't make much difference, still to narrow. Sold it. Kontour can make a wide seat too if you choose so. I did not choose too.
Sargent seats are much wider then stock seats and much more comfortable to me. Sargent seats do not interfere with off-road riding either.
I also add an Airhawk when on long rides.
I had a Kontour seat on my GTL and it was great with its air cooling.

·
Super Awesom Person
563 Posts
While riding my K1600GT with the stock seat I found myself sitting on a concrete bench in the middle of no-place Texas and realizing the bench was more comfortable than the seat on my bike.
For me the Sargent seat is far better than any stock BMW seat. It needs to be broken in a bit and I still get a bit sore on long trips but I also get sore in my SUV.
A friend of mine swears the bead cover on his Sargent seat helps a lot on very hot days and I might give that a try but overall I'm happy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
On a recent 8000 mile 20 day trip, I experienced constant pain, hot spots and chafing on my stock gsa seat. Recently, I purchased a BMS seat and saw little improvement on a 500 mile ride. The only relief is standing on my pegs Has anyone else experienced this constant discomfort?
BMW seats in general suck. The 2018 GS is my first after 4 RTs, all fitted with Russell Day Long for the past 230,000+ miles. For the GS I outsmarted myself and bought a different brand. What a horrible mistake.

Don't know what your riding consists of, but if you do long distance there's a reason the Russell is named Day Long. Just pay the slight upcharge over cheaper seats and be happy. Your butt and back will thank you.

kpax
Iron Butt Bun Burner Gold
Iron Butt 50 CC
lost track of 1000 mile days

·
Reprobate
137 Posts
OP: You don't mention if the BMS saddle was made for you, or if you bought it from someone else. Custom saddles are customized for a single butt; the brand alone doesn't make for a comfortable fit. People will recommend Sargent, Touratech, etc based on their own experience and that's fine if you have a Sargent or a Touratech butt. I use a Russell Daylong on my sidecar rig but I don't use it on my solo bike as the wings that make it so comfy on long trips interfere with my ability to slide back on steep descents. On that bike (camhead GSA) I've tried Sargent, Touratech, Corbin, Saddleman and various beads, cushions, and sheepskins. I finally got a custom BMS that fits me perfectly, but that buy and try approach is expensive!

Best advice I could give is to attend a regional rally and buddy up to people with similar bikes but different seats...and see if one would let you take their saddle for a test ride.

Pete

·
Registered
42 Posts
AirHawk Seat Owner

I just completed a trip to Tuktoyaktuk and back to NY, slightly over 10,000 miles, in slightly over 3 weeks. Earlier this summer I bought the Airhawk IST air BMW seat for my 2016GSA and absolutely LOVE the seat. We rode between 400 to 550 miles every day - no soreness, hot spots, pain, NADA!! These guys build, IMHO, the best seat one can purchase for the BMW. BTW, I have been riding motorcycles since the 1960's, countless miles on all kinds of bikes, and have to say nothing compares. Speak to Lars, he can explain how they do it.

I hate the BMW OEM seat, tried a couple other manufacturers of seats for the BMW; none are even in the same league as the AirHawk IST. Most I sent back because they were a PIA after even short rides of several hundred miles. This seat was always comfortable, wet or dry, dirt or clean. Standing or sitting the seat performed supurbly.

I am including a couple photos of the seat and bike from the Dempster - mud and all. The seat didn't even whimper at the abuse.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
PoppyGreg makes a good point. Pants and underpants with no seems between your bottom and the seat makes a world of difference.
What seamless pants (as in underwear, not trousers) do you recommend. Here in the UK RST manufacturer pants but not sure if they are seamless or comfortable.

A recent high mileage tour of Scotland proved to be a 'pain in the bum', literally despite using a Air Hawk. Convinced it was caused by seams in my pants.

·
Super Awesom Person
563 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
known for making the WORST seats in the Industry...Welcome

·
Registered
53 Posts
First off motorcycle riding shorts will help many different brands to choose from. Motorcycle riding pants, then a comfortable seat many to choose from RDL, Sargent, Corbin. To help out the boxer vibration which also cause riding discomfort HVMP bar end weights and wider footpegs. Bar risers for comfort these are a good start for long distance riding.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts