R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
BMW seats in general suck. The 2018 GS is my first after 4 RTs, all fitted with Russell Day Long for the past 230,000+ miles. For the GS I outsmarted myself and bought a different brand. What a horrible mistake.

Don't know what your riding consists of, but if you do long distance there's a reason the Russell is named Day Long. Just pay the slight upcharge over cheaper seats and be happy. Your butt and back will thank you.

kpax

Iron Butt Bun Burner Gold

Iron Butt 50 CC

lost track of 1000 mile days

I did the same thing. So I’m sending my original seat to RUSSELL this thanksgiving.

2016 R1200GSA
The Red Witch

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got one of these for my RT sargent seat so I wouldn't sit in a puddle if it rained. Switched to a gs with the comfort seat and it fit just right. I've always switched seats but I am totally comfortable with the stock one with this cover. Air is always moving through it. Took off the other morning at 50 degrees and it was quite refreshing. Biggest thing for me is the rain shedding.

https://www.coolcovers.co.uk/

·
Registered
502 Posts
I got one of these for my RT sargent seat so I wouldn't sit in a puddle if it rained. Switched to a gs with the comfort seat and it fit just right. I've always switched seats but I am totally comfortable with the stock one with this cover. Air is always moving through it. Took off the other morning at 50 degrees and it was quite refreshing. Biggest thing for me is the rain shedding.

https://www.coolcovers.co.uk/
Similar type of seat cover as a Kontour. Really nice cover.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Seat / saddle experiences are all over the map and very personal. Most people hate the stock seats. I've put over 45,000kms on my stock *low* seat and it has been fine for me. I suspect an aftermarket seat would be even better, but the stock low seat has been plenty comfy enough for me for 750km+ days and ~5,500km tours.

Also worth considering (makes a huge difference for me): diet, exercise, alcohol, hydration. Eating like crap, adult beverages the night before, dehydration, lack of exercise, and (increasing) weight will all impact your saddle experience negatively.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a ‘19 1250GSA Low with BMW low seat 6 months ago (only my second BMW ever, the first an F650 in ‘97).

As mentioned by others, physical stature and body type/shape matter so perhaps it’s worth stating that at 5’5” and 140 lbs. I’m probably an atypical GS/A rider in that regard.

The stock low seat was reasonably comfortable for me for up to 3 hours. My biggest issue was my lack of inseam. I came to find that removing the stock seat cover and shaping the stock seat foam with a rasp worked out okay (I’ve done this on my dirt bikes a time or two over the years ) Shaping the stock foam not only gave me better reach to the ground but had the added benefit of allowing me to eliminate slight pressure hotspots under my inner thighs which increased comfort on longer rides.

Ultimately I also tried two different Touratech seats, the low and extra low seats (both of which felt like concrete slabs) and finally a Seat Concepts low seat. I ended up liking the Seat Concepts seat but I also reshaped the foam on that one for extra reach to the ground.

Seat Concepts sells complete seats and refit foam/cover kits for the stock BMW seat pan. You will need basic skills, a hair dryer, an inexpensive air stapler and some patience to install the foam/cover kit or replace the stock cover after reshaping the stock foam. Getting a smooth finish on the foam after reshaping it with a rasp so that the final covered result looks professional takes some added patience with fine sandpaper. If anyone is interested in that process or the seat trials of a short rider, perhaps another thread is in order. I have some pictures of the reshaping I can share as well as some GS seat tricks for the short rider.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just did a 2000 mile trip with 4 days in the saddle. I have terminal buttache. Getting too old for this. I have the Sargeant seat split model. Extra padding needed . ???????????????????

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sargent-world-sport-adventure-touring-seat-bmw-r1200gs-gsa
Give them a call about paying them a visit. They can do some additional adjustments if you come by with the seat. I had a Triumph Tiger years ago and bought one of their seats. Better but still not great so I paid them a visit and they made it much better. Still haven't found a better seat than BMS or RDL for a true custom seat.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts