R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put a set of Road Attacks on my new GS as I ride almost exclusively on the road. They were highly recommended and so far seem to be pretty good. Anyone else had any experience with them - good or bad? What about other brands of road tyres? Any useful comments?

·
Registered
220 Posts
had them on my Ducati

they are very good tires, IMHO. But I've found that the dual purpose tires are fine for what I am doing. The Road Attacks are going to be freaky on gravel. On the gravel driveway at my house the Duc was very skitterish.

·
Free Genie
395 Posts
I've got Trail Attacks on my '09 GS. They're ok but not as good as the Dunlop D607s which I had on my '07 bike. The Dunlops were spectacularly good.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Just took a set of Trail Attacks off of my GS. After 3K miles the bike developed a wobble or head shake between 35-40 mph. BMW checked the rim, bearing etc with no luck. Changed out the front TA today, now with just over 3,400 miles on it and wobble is gone. To go along with the wobble the bike lately has felt unsettle when coming to a stop. With new tire on the front, that was all gone and bike was back to normal. Took the rear TA off too and replaced it. Wont be getting TA's again. Others told me the head shake was the tires, was hoping it wasn't but seems to be true.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Road Attack update

As I have racked up some more miles on the GS I can report that the Road Attacks are very inspiring and seem to perform well - they suit the GS it seems! I find that I can "attack" (excuse the pun) the twisties with much more authority thatn I would have thought possible. One of my riding mates on a Honda CB1300 said he couldn't keep up with me last weekend and was worried that I am running my bike in in that fashion. I told him to stop riding like a Granny and get into it!
After many years of riding my last bike with Metzler Z6's I am pretty happy so far...........

·
Registered
10 Posts
Im looking into buying a new rear tire mine is almost gone and I found this Continental Road Attack Tire for 119.99, so I wondering if any of you guys had any input on this tire and I was thinking about going with the 170/60/17 I know the 650 comes stock with the 160/60/17 but I have read that the 170 would fit. There is only a 3 difference in the 160 and 170 and I would like to have a bigger tire so what do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Im looking into buying a new rear tire mine is almost gone and I found this Continental Road Attack Tire for 119.99, so I wondering if any of you guys had any input on this tire and I was thinking about going with the 170/60/17 I know the 650 comes stock with the 160/60/17 but I have read that the 170 would fit. There is only a 3 difference in the 160 and 170 and I would like to have a bigger tire so what do you guys think?
:confused:

The R12GS stock rear is 150/70. Given that this is a R12GS board, comments about what tire comes stock on a 650 are somewhat confusing.

I think the rear rim of the GS is a 4.25. The standard size tire for a 4.25 is 150 wide with a 60 or 70 aspect ratio. A 170/70 is made for a 5.0 or 5.50 rim. It can fit on a 4.25 rim, but you'll have to check if the rim with mounted tire will still fit on the bike. It might not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recently switched back on my 09 GSA from the road attacks to the OEM knobbies because I was starting to do a little more off road. Here is my question, with the road attacks on I can easily keep up with my sportbike friends on our twistie rides but I not comfortable on the knobbies, mainly because I have no expeirence on them.
So I was thinking of buying a second set of wheels to just switch as needed because it is one heck of a lot easier to change wheels than tires for me. What do you think and what do you think it should cost? Thanks

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
A spare set of wheels with brake rotors for fast switch out will be in the $1000 - $1500 range. If you paid BMW prices the rotors alone will be $1000.

I find it cheaper and easier to run a trail attack or the like on the rear and a TKC-80 on the front. Gives me some help on dirt roads yet runs fine (if a bit rough and noisy) on the street. I am faster than the pack but not as fast as the guys in front. At my speeds/skill the knobby on the front is not an issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just changed from Metzeler Roadtec Z6 to Conti Road Attack.
First impression O.K. After few km, I'll give more information.

BR / Bojan

P.S.: Sorry, my Englich is a little rusty

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone tried the Road Attack 2 yet?

My GS came with Bridgestone Battlewings from new and I dislike them so much that they are going, even though they have less than 4k miles on them.

My previous GS was fitted with Road Attacks which I loved and would definitely fit in place of the Battlewings but now the Road Attack 2 is out there.

Has anyone put a pair of Road Attack 2 on their GS and if so how do they perform? Are they better than the original Road Attacks?

I use the GS for touring so I'm after a good road tyre rather than anything to handle off-road work.

The Pirelli Angels get fantastic reviews but they don't appear to do a 19" tyre so they're not an option.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
I know several people who have run Road Attacks on their street machines and were happy with the wear an performance. I had a set of Trail Attack IIs put on my '09 GSA and took off on a round trip from NC to OK via back roads. On the 3000 mile trip, I was very satisfied with their performance. They are okay for gravel roads but not for sand or mud. In my opinion, they're 90% street/10% dirt.

2 cents.

Mike

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts