R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a coolant change on 2016 LC 1200
Drain and flushed OK but I have about 1 litre of the 1.75 fill amount in bike and have run the bike up to 90 degrees C waiting for thermostat to open so I can get the remaining 750 ml in.
Thermostat does not appear to have opened as yet and wondering if anyone can tell me at what temp it opens.
I have the bike on side stand while doing the fill.
Thx folks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For those who may have viewed my post asking about refill of radiator: What my Haynes manual does not tell me is that I have to fill the system whilst under vacuum so more tools to buy.. Oh for the days when such tasks were just so straight forward!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well the tool at Amazon was no longer available so went to item 142148216681 on Ebay.https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/28PC-Universal-Radiator-Pressure-Tester-Vacuum-Type-Cooling-System-Refill-Kit/142148216681?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

After quite a bit of "stuffing around" I managed to get sufficient coolant back into the bike but now that I have a better understanding of the process I will make a better fitting for the task and repeat the job as I want to be able to share the tooling with friends and now know that I can improve on my first attempt.
I have since seen a video where a guy uses a standard vacuum pump and sucks the coolant into the bottom of the cylinder head.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts