R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 05 has a corbin seat set (front heated) and I find that I tend to slide forward on it. The rear mounting bracket is in the upper holes so the rear of the seat sets as low as possible, but it still seems to slide me forward. It also sets me pretty high up. This, coupled with Ohlin shocks, stand me on my tiptoes when stopped. I'm 5' 10" with a 32" inseam. Im wondering if anyone knows of a lower seat that still is more comfortable than stock. I have no meat on my backside and need a very soft foam or my arse is burning after only a short while in the saddle. I had a seat concepts in extra soft on my previous bike (07 V-Strom) and coupled with a sheepskin it was tolerable. The Corbin is tolerable at best but I'm tempted to remove the cover and attempt grinding the foam down at the rear and having it recovered as the leather is starting to show some wear anyway. Any input from anyone here? I know seats are a very individualized thing but I can't be the only one with a sensitive tush. I'm wanting to do Alaska next year but don't think I could take 7500 miles on this seat.

·
Free Genie
395 Posts
I don't think soft foam is the answer in a motorcycle seat. Soft foam is easily compressed and after a while you end up effectively sitting on the seat pan.

On my previous twin cam GS I had a low Sargent seat which worked very well for me. If I felt the need for a bit more padding on a particularly long ride, I'd wear cycling underwear under my riding pants.

Interestingly, although I found it necessary to use a low seat, initially OEM BMW and latterly Sargent on my three hexhead GSes and one twin cam, I find that I can cope with the height of the standard seat on my new WC. In spite of being narrower which allows me to get my feet down more easily, it's also much more comfortable than the OEM seats for the previous models. So much so, that I'm considering not fitting a custom seat to this bike.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a Sargent on my '06, works great for me. But it took a long time to break in.
Sargent uses their patented "Atomic Foam", which is supposed to give better support and comfort. Once broken in, it does just that.
But more importantly, the shape of the seat needs to help spread the load around better and offer more support near the outsides. The Sargent does this pretty well.
I have it in the low position and can sit flat-footed (33" inseam).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts