R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search on here but didn't find what I was looking for...

I'm thinking I want a second set of wheels to mount up more off-road oriented tires. I just want to unbolt one set and put on the other set. I'm curious about cost. Before I call the dealer to see what a complete set of wheels costs for my 2017 GSA, I was curious if someone has done this and if they are willing to share what the cost is.

Fortunately, I live in the same city as Woody's Wheel Works which is definitely an option. I'm not looking to change the rim size either. So I'll check with them.

I'm just trying to get a rough idea what this will cost. TIA!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Looking at ebay they have a few $1500 odd for a set and $850 for a rear, didnt loook thoroughly though maybe some even lower priced

·
Bike&Ski
102 Posts
I haven't been able to come up with anything less than USD 2000 - 2500 which is too much for my taste. I run TKC80's all the time and find the performance on the road to be fine unless I really want to crank in the twisties, and then I've had the ASC kick in occasionally. Keep in mind that if you want to simply unbolt to swap you will need rims, tires, rotors and abs ring. I would go with wire wheels for off-road as opposed to cast.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies! I have been watching ebay, but I'd like to see the rims in person before pulling the trigger especially seeing what some people are asking... I'm also keeping my eye on CL just in case a pair shows up there.

PYcr - I have a GSA and want the extra wheels to mount up more off-road oriented tires, so I'm going to stick to wire wheels. Prior to getting my 2017 GSA, I rode 50/50 on my other ADV bikes and I don't really see that changing :) I also realize wanting to be able to do a hot-swap, I need and want a complete wheel set. I've run strictly or more dirt oriented tires on my previous ADV bikes but find the very short life-span of my favorite tire (Karoo 3) to last only 5k miles before they are toast. I do realize the number of sets of tires I could buy with the costs of a complete set of wheels.

I'm going to get in touch with Woody's Wheels and the Dealer to see what a complete set costs and I'll post back but also interested if someone has already done this (contact the dealer for a set)...

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Many have contacted the dealer pricing a set of spoke wheels (Over $3,200+) plus in your case you're going to need brake rotors ($800+) an ABS ring ($44) and about $65 for hardware, even with a great discount this endeavor will run you well north of $3k and you still need a set of tires.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Many have contacted the dealer pricing a set of spoke wheels (Over $3,200+) plus in your case you're going to need brake rotors ($800+) an ABS ring ($44) and about $65 for hardware, even with a great discount this endeavor will run you well north of $3k and you still need a set of tires.
I would go ebay unless I had unlimited cash, plus ebay sellers are usually good.....and money is protected in paypal

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow- so you are looking at over $4k for a new set?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
I got a set of spokes from Woody's in Nov. With rotors and ABS sensor, I believe they were $2,300. That is w/o TPMS. The people at Woody's are very friendly and will be glad to give you a price.

·
Registered
61 Posts
On the hex/camheads, just about all the wheels are interchangeable, and cast are much cheaper than spoked, so that might work for you, if that works with your bike. I'm hoping to put real dirt tires on my spoked wheels, and get cast for street tires.

Sent from my S70 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
502 Posts
Not to steal the thread, but welcome home JetSpeed!

·
Registered
142 Posts

But bargains are to be had on ebay. I've just picked up a pair of wheels for my 04 for £220. Tyres, although the front needs changing, brake discs, ABS ring, even the front axle and spacer.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I went to the dealer to ask about pricing, they actually told me to look for used wheels or go to Woody's Wheels which happens to be in Denver (where I live). I wound with a set of Woody's Wheels. Complete with rotors and sensor so that it's a complete and easy wheel swap. The Woody's Wheels use a a built-in spacer in the front so you store the OEM spacer. The rear wheel uses slightly longer bolts which Woodys includesl. With tires and all, the Woodys' Wheels still ran me about 4k. BUT these wheels are way stronger than stock.

·
Registered
169 Posts
They use the Outex Tubeless Conversion kits to seal the nipples if you want to go tubeless.

Here's another system =>

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I went to the dealer to ask about pricing, they actually told me to look for used wheels or go to Woody's Wheels which happens to be in Denver (where I live). I wound with a set of Woody's Wheels. Complete with rotors and sensor so that it's a complete and easy wheel swap. The Woody's Wheels use a a built-in spacer in the front so you store the OEM spacer. The rear wheel uses slightly longer bolts which Woodys includesl. With tires and all, the Woodys' Wheels still ran me about 4k. BUT these wheels are way stronger than stock.
I spoke with Woody's today. Nice guy. They said they would recommend a slightly smaller wheel than the stock. I think they said the front was a 1/4 narrower and the rear a 1/2 narrower. Is that what they did with you as well?

They told me they were way stronger that stock as well. Is that true?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts