R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, I am new to the forum and hope you are all doing great. I owned a F800ST for 10 years and recently traded it in for a new R1250GS. I literally just put the first 150 miles in the past two days with a combination of highway and country roads. This is simply a dream bike.

I am in the process of selecting crash bars for the cylinder heads and also upper side areas. I am looking at the SW-Motech which look really great but they may be too much for my riding needs as I am not planning to do any dirt riding (I know..sorry about that) as I mainly ride on asphalt.

The crash protection I am looking for is mainly for advanced training at the (asphalt) range and the...rarely...oops I dropped the bike on the driveway.

I was thinking of the Wunderlich lower crash bars which look less bulky and lighter than anything else I have seen. Should I forgo the upper side areas crash bars? I figure the less weight up there the better...right?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting, the only option I get is the color. So I like the stainless still but look similar to the picture above posted by Mike except that is made for the 1250 GS.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been looking closely at the Altrider bars. They appear to have a very solid design. I'm mostly into twisty roads, but I may take mine off road eventually. I'll probably add the upper crash bars later. Made in the USA, too.

Any pros/cons for Altrider bars?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been looking closely at the Altrider bars. They appear to have a very solid design. I'm mostly into twisty roads, but I may take mine off road eventually. I'll probably add the upper crash bars later. Made in the USA, too.

Any pros/cons for Altrider bars?
They look pretty sharp too. However, I think I am going to go with the Wunderlich because of the low profile.

·
Registered
9 Posts
From my perspective, it's all about their ability to minimize engine damage in the event of a low side at speed, which is where it's gonna happen in my case. The Altrider bars are 1.25" (31.75 mm) D, and they talk about how stiff they are as compared to 1" (25 mm) D bars. The Wunderlich bars are 16 mm D (~ 5/8"). If I can pick my bike up and continue, then they've paid for themselves.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just received my SW - Motech upper and lower bars from Twisted Throttle. I'll report back on how easy or not they install.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The SW Motech Upper and Lower crash bars are a pretty straight forward install. I might have been an hour or so taking my time. Good rugged bars, I hope not to test them any time soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Motech

I have th SW Motech lower bars on my 1250 GS. I can, favorably report that they look good and don’t get in the way of either my riding or servicing the jugs. I can also, unfortunately, attest that they provide outstanding protection. On a run at 4:00 am, my front wheel caught an edge trap that was virtually invisible in the dark until I found myself on the ground. ATGATT saved me from all but a scraped up Aerostitch. SW Motech took the hit and the slide for the bike. The only damage to the bike was a scraped Motech bar and scraped pannier carrier.
I chose the Motech over AltRider bars because of looks and because I believe, and was told by a dealer, that AltRider bars are overkill and so beefy that they transmit all of the crash/fall energy of a drop/crash to the bike’s frame and/or engine rather than absorbing at least some of it.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
I have th SW Motech lower bars on my 1250 GS. I can, favorably report that they look good and don’t get in the way of either my riding or servicing the jugs. I can also, unfortunately, attest that they provide outstanding protection. On a run at 4:00 am, my front wheel caught an edge trap that was virtually invisible in the dark until I found myself on the ground. ATGATT saved me from all but a scraped up Aerostitch. SW Motech took the hit and the slide for the bike. The only damage to the bike was a scraped Motech bar and scraped pannier carrier.
I chose the Motech over AltRider bars because of looks and because I believe, and was told by a dealer, that AltRider bars are overkill and so beefy that they transmit all of the crash/fall energy of a drop/crash to the bike’s frame and/or engine rather than absorbing at least some of it.
Glad you're okay!

I've never heard that about AltRider engine guards. I'm thinking about switching out my OEM guards on my GSA for an upcoming extended trip. Do you have any info about the AltRider guards damaging frames/engines?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
75 Posts
Glad you're okay!

I've never heard that about AltRider engine guards. I'm thinking about switching out my OEM guards on my GSA for an upcoming extended trip. Do you have any info about the AltRider guards damaging frames/engines?

Thanks,

Mike
Sounds like his info was from the dealer selling sw-motech.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Glad you're okay!

Thanks,

Mike
I have no info other than what my dealer’s head tech told me and what looking at the Altrider bars on a friend’s motorcycle and how they mount tells me. There is nothing but the frame and engine to give in a drop or crash with the Altriders. The Motechs do have a mounting plate on each side that will absorb energy should the bike wind up in the ground. The plate on the side that hit the ground on my bike was fairly well bent after the fall. No part of my motorcycle other than the rear pannier cage and a mirror suffered any damage. Mortech will send me a new plate.i couldn’t ask for more from a set of crash bars.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts