R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an old CTEK xs0.8 trickle charger for bikes' batteries and love it. So I use it on the 2013 R1200GS LC and did not buy the Optimate 4 (trying to save money for the 2019 new model:wink2:)

The CTEK works perfectly on the GS by clamping to the battery directly:smile2:. However, I am lazy and do not really want to open the battery cover every time. So I fitted a connector and cable-tied the end to the frame externally. It works and does not block my rear brake level but still find it a small eye-sore (due to my OCD for details :nerd:).

So I bought a cig DIN plug and put it in the DIN socket next to the dash. Problem: the CTEK goes up to only light "3". So I wonder if I have to buy the Optimate 4 if I want to use the DIN socket to charge the GS :confused:

Thanks for reading this and happy riding! I apologise if this question has been asked and answered previously!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was going to go the DIN route too, however CTEK sells these adaptors that stay on the bike. They have 3 LEDs on the connector that flash and let you know how the battery is. Not sure if your trickle came with the end these have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
I was going to go the DIN route too, however CTEK sells these adaptors that stay on the bike. They have 3 LEDs on the connector that flash and let you know how the battery is. Not sure if your trickle came with the end these have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ive done the same thing with the ctek adapters that have become my standard on all bikes. The LEDs are handy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks dkgruv123! My connector does not have the 3-light like yours. It works fine and I got step 5 full charge light on the CTEK. However I prefer a clean look and not to have the connector (or anything) outside the cover. Unfortunately firstly the DIN plug was not working if I just plugged it in. I tricked the socket by switching on the bike for a while. But the CTEK only go up to step 3 light. Well perhaps I have to leave the connector cable-tied on the frame so that I can ensure charge the battery easily and keep it in top condition every time.
If I buy the new GS next year, I shall get a bigger mortgage to cover a optimate 4!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts