R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 2008 GSA (62,000 miles) into a dealership for some engine work, they changed the final drive fluid along with all the other fluids. Mechanic said there was a slight "glitter" in the fluid and recommended the final drive be rebuilt, ($1,400.00 USD) and I admit I am a little skeptical. Mechanic said nothing about checking for any play in the rear tire, and i certainly haven't felt any vibrations from the rear wheel. He said since the fluid was slightly shiny and bright (he said he was going to save the fluid to show me but forgot)and since it was shiny it was pieces of bearing, rather than the normal gear wear. Also irritated as when the dealership contacted me with the news they informed me my rear bearing was locking up and i needed to have the final drive rebuilt. I rode the bike into the dealership.

·
Registered
349 Posts
If you are mechanically inclined the new bearing is not expensive nor hard to replace. There are YT videos that show step by stem. Honestly what the worse that can happen you get stuck and have to take it to the dealership?

Where are you located? Maybe if this is not a project you want to handle someone on here will lend a hand.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are mechanically inclined the new bearing is not expensive nor hard to replace. There are YT videos that show step by stem. Honestly what the worse that can happen you get stuck and have to take it to the dealership?

Where are you located? Maybe if this is not a project you want to handle someone on here will lend a hand.
I'm in Iowa City right now, on a contract, so i don't have any tools with me from home.
Does it sound to you like it needs replaced?

·
Super Moderator
488 Posts
I'm in Des Moines. Historically Iowa City has been a reputable shop. Many, many BMW owners make the 90 minute trip from here to there for service work. Their master tech has a solid reputation.

If it was me I'd put new fluid in, run for 2000 miles and then send a sample to Blackstone labs to verify for yourself.

The Pure Stodge BMW Owner group in Iowa City is very active. Likely a guy there who would help you do the work.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You might need some special tools to do it yourself. You might try finding a new final drive on Ebay. They go for around $600.

(I thought about replacing a seal on a Triumph Triple rear drive that was given to me. Previous owner had a new final drive installed after his real seal failed. I decided I could only sell it for $500 if I replaced the seal and decided the hassle and special tools required didn't make sense for only $500, so I just gave it to the Triumph dealer.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts