R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick recap: stock headlight bulb failed on last day of 10-day, 3,500-mile trip from Oregon to Southwest and back. Stock bulb; gave it up after ~12,000 miles. Rode home using high beam and stock lights on front fork.

Go to change bulb yesterday so I can ride my '09 GSA to a meeting in Salem. Unscrew dust cap. Open wire bale. Go to pull black plastic piece that clamps onto back of bulb. (This is the black plastic piece that has yellow wire and brown wire feeding into back side, then front of black plastic piece clamps onto metal prongs at back of headlight bulb.) Piece disintegrates in my hand. Lovely, as if rain, wind, and snow for nine days weren't enough fun on a 10-day trip...

Call BMW and they don't sell just that black plastic piece, but they will sell me an entire new headlight assembly for $500 plus.

Anybody else have this happen or ideas in general? Thanks.

·
Not that senior.
702 Posts
Same...shame

I had the same problem, just turns to powder, and the same solution, was an aftermarket connector.

A sealed compartment for the globes makes sense, but heat dissipation needs to be better.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thnaks, guys. I found out BMW offers a replacement, called a "two-pin wire repair kit" for $45. Evidently, this is not an unheard of problem.

I'll also check out the ceramic options.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fixed!

Buddy who's a whiz with tools and was used to farkling his tiny remote control aircraft fixed the bike in 45 minutes. He took a piece of thin scrap metal that had a U-shaped channel already and turned that into a hinge for my bale. Fashioned a tiny tab on the outside of the hinge, drilled a hole in the tab, then put a screw and washer through the hole to secure the hinge. My bale now opens and closes with ease.

He also spliced in the two-pin repair kit, soldered the splice, took a heat gun and shrank the rubbery black wrap around it, and voila! the low beam has returned. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same issue on my 2008 R1200GS. The plastic tabs that are supposed to retain bulb spring clip are broken as is the actual threaded hole the screw that holds this clip! How can I repair this headlight shell WITHOUT buying a new $500 BMW Bucket?

·
Super Moderator
584 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Or you could go with a full LED replacement:
My headlight 'lens' cracked, even with a tour a tech plastic/glass cover. I think it was mounted too close and vibrations to the headlight mount did the job.
Anyway, I was shocked not to be able to buy a lens locally. WEnt ebay. No stock available. Went to youtube, saw a guy had bought the LED above and gave instructions (easy done) on replacement. Also, saw a lens, and youtube guy who had replaced it.
There are several LED ads and prices. I selected the cheaper, although the same headlight and ordered; from China, which is not my favorite place from which to order. It came in a week!
I installed in about an hour, and I'm not all that handy with tools. Didn't take but a couple of tools.
I've had the LED, Chinese headlight for about 6 months now and I love it! BMW shot themselves in the foot with their high priced, stock light. I know a guy who has had one in his 2005, after breaking it, for 3 years!
Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
584 Posts
My headlight 'lens' cracked, even with a tour a tech plastic/glass cover. I think it was mounted too close and vibrations to the headlight mount did the job.
Anyway, I was shocked not to be able to buy a lens locally. WEnt ebay. No stock available. Went to youtube, saw a guy had bought the LED above and gave instructions (easy done) on replacement. Also, saw a lens, and youtube guy who had replaced it.
There are several LED ads and prices. I selected the cheaper, although the same headlight and ordered; from China, which is not my favorite place from which to order. It came in a week!
I installed in about an hour, and I'm not all that handy with tools. Didn't take but a couple of tools.
I've had the LED, Chinese headlight for about 6 months now and I love it! BMW shot themselves in the foot with their high priced, stock light. I know a guy who has had one in his 2005, after breaking it, for 3 years!
Good luck!
I'm at 7 months, 4000 miles with mine and very happy with it. Tremendously brighter but still a good cutoff so no one flashes their brights at me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts