R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer I had a close call near Jasper National Park. Two deer came out of the forest onto the highway in my path. The area has very narrow ditches And lots of wildlife. Unfortunately, I hit one head on at about 50 kph. Fortunately, I ended up sort of climbing over the animal. The damage was minimal which consisted of broken fog lamps, a dent in the exhaust manifold, and a misshaped pannier. The bike proved to be drivable and brought me back home to the Edmonton area. Now the hunt begins for an exhaust manifold for a 2010 adventure.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I hit one last year going abut 60 MPH. She hit my front wheel so hard there were about 30 hairs in the bead. Fortunately I stayed upright and only damage was a bent crash bar and lot of scat on me and the bike. I didn't tknow a deer could hold so much.

I have a set of headers that will fit a Hexhead 2004 - 2010 R1200GS that are all cleaned up and look better than new. NOt sure what shippig to the great white north wou dbe but $150 USD + shipping if your interested.

4F8602DA-74D0-4C2A-8EF5-631D5039AA3A.jpeg
07855F94-456E-4A9F-8496-7379D5F37C9F.jpeg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hit one last year going abut 60 MPH. She hit my front wheel so hard there were about 30 hairs in the bead. Fortunately I stayed upright and only damage was a bent crash bar and lot of scat on me and the bike. I didn't tknow a deer could hold so much.

I have a set of headers that will fit a Hexhead 2004 - 2010 R1200GS that are all cleaned up and look better than new. NOt sure what shippig to the great white north wou dbe but $150 USD + shipping if your interested.

View attachment 28030 View attachment 28031
They look fantastic. I’m told by BMW that the 2010-2012 take a different header. Otherwise I would be very interested.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yes these will definitely fit Hexheads 2004 - 2009.

Originally they looked like every other blued/golden bug encrusted header. Beer, green scotchbrite, PB blaster and an evening listening to Neil Young, Decade:

H1.jpg
H2.jpg

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
645 Posts
Yes these will definitely fit Hexheads 2004 - 2009.

Originally they looked like every other blued/golden bug encrusted header. Beer, green scotchbrite, PB blaster and an evening listening to Neil Young, Decade:

View attachment 28032 View attachment 28033
Just pulled the same set up from my stash in the loft. They look the same as your pre clean up. Thanks for the inspiration to clean mine up.... for sale. Which beer works best?

·
Registered
9 Posts
During the westward leg of last summer’s ride around the USA, I departed early from Kalispell MT. Perfect day, crisp mountain air, barely any traffic ... we all know that sensation. I spotted a smallish deer nudging toward the road from the woods. Immediately I hammer on the brakes. Before I could come to a stop, the deer did what deer typically do and darted in front of me at the last moment. The impact dropped the deer however I kept the bike stable and upright. A few miles later, I pulled into a driveway to assess the bike. (Amazingly, there was no damage). I then realized I was near the county dump ... a likely place for bears. As I really had little interest hitting a bear only moments after hitting a deer, I headed on.

When I stopped for coffee, I noticed the deer hair wedged in the beading. I was fortunate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
During the westward leg of last summer’s ride around the USA, I departed early from Kalispell MT. Perfect day, crisp mountain air, barely any traffic ... we all know that sensation. I spotted a smallish deer nudging toward the road from the woods. Immediately I hammer on the brakes. Before I could come to a stop, the deer did what deer typically do and darted in front of me at the last moment. The impact dropped the deer however I kept the bike stable and upright. A few miles later, I pulled into a driveway to assess the bike. (Amazingly, there was no damage). I then realized I was near the county dump ... a likely place for bears. As I really had little interest hitting a bear only moments after hitting a deer, I headed on.

When I stopped for coffee, I noticed the deer hair wedged in the beading. I was fortunate. View attachment 28034
Close call indeed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Anyone try using those 'deer' whistles mounted to the bike?
They supposedly produce a frequency that deer don't like. I had them on a bike for 28 years (previous owner mounted them), and EVERY time I came close to deer, I could see them look up , freeze, or run away from me.... I rode in areas that had quite a lot of deer and they seemed to work ... well I think they did since I didn't hit any and none of them ran out towards, or in front of, me.
While writing this, I paused and ordered some on Amazon for the new bike :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I mounted a deer whistle on Sunday and went for a ride.... An awesome ride from Rock Springs WY south around Flaming Gorge and back around the other side on 44... some very cool twisties and wide open road.
I was paying attention to the truck and camper that was starting to enter the road, and just after that there was a big deer(not the kind I'm used to in the east, big, heavy and horns) just standing halfway in the left lane watching me fly by on the right lane....

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is no clear answer concerning their effectiveness, but NAPA auto parts (and Amazon of course) sells deer whistles for about 9 bucks that I mounted on my GS. I can't hear them - I live in NE NJ and the deer are like squirrels here - so I'm hoping the deer hear them. Anyway, when riding the back roads, I am especially careful to scan the road shoulders for deer especially in the late afternoon/early evening.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts