R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I was reluctant to post this, but I have to ask if my experience is even close to normal. I purchased a new 2017 GS Adventure a week or so back and they installed Illium (sp?) risers and deliver it on a Saturday morning. Well, it arrives but doesn't work...they installed the risers wrong so the wiring was too tight and pulled the plugs our of the sockets. So...they take it back and have to call Illium to get instructions on how to install. They return the bike "fixed" this last Tuesday and it starts and appears to function. Due to the weather I cannot (ok, choose not) to ride in crap weather. Today, the weather clears and it is a nice day so I figure I will take it for a first ride. I get dressed in my gear, hop on the bike and fire it up...and promptly almost drop it because the throttle is unresponsive. I now have the check engine light and it is in failsafe mode. At this point I told the sales person I want this deal undone and I want my trade back. I am pretty sure they will not do that, but I cannot believe this level of failure from BMW...I will never be able to trust this bike anywhere even remotely off the beaten path now.

Has ANYONE ever had any new bike delivery even close to this?

·
Fisherman on 2 wheels!
162 Posts
Sounds like a poor dealer PDI

From what you describe, it smells of a poor installation of an aftermarket part. I installed SW Motech risers myself and had neither harness or throttle issues. These bikes have fly by wire throttle so yes, it's possible things got pulled once you moved the handlebars.

·
Registered
132 Posts
This dealer is irresponsible. Go to reputable BMW dealer and forget about those loosers. They should have their BMW dealeship licence revoked. To deliver an unsafe bike to a customer is just too much. This has nothing to do with the bike itself.

·
Registered
101 Posts
This dealer is irresponsible. Go to reputable BMW dealer and forget about those loosers. They should have their BMW dealeship licence revoked. To deliver an unsafe bike to a customer is just too much. This has nothing to do with the bike itself.
Ditto. Machines do not make mistakes...only man.
>:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think another dealer will work, the next closest (95 miles) has a horrible reputation that is well earned from eveything I have read and heard. And, since the bike is dead, I have to have it trailered and I don't have a trailer. I will never trust this bike after this, I think the wiring harness has been damaged when it pulled the plugs apart, and that will be a wiring gremlin I chase forever until they simply put a new harness on...which I am sure this dealer won't do since they are like all dealers and don't spend a penny they don't have to spend. If I am not satisfied this time I will be contacting BMW directly and seeing if they can do anything, but basically my plans for this bike are ruined if I can't trust it.

You only get one chance for a first impression...and they have messed up the first two impressions so far...I have never seen much worse in all my years, and I have owned a lot of vehicles.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Don't blame the bike

I installed Rox Risers myself at 4000 miles and now I have 45000. No issues. I would hope you saw the cables were tight and didn't force the bars past the point of initial resistance :wink2:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I installed Rox Risers myself at 4000 miles and now I have 45000. No issues. I would hope you saw the cables were tight and didn't force the bars past the point of initial resistance :wink2:
They installed them at the dealership before delivery and had already turned the bars against tight wiring and pulled the electrical plugs apart, that is why it would not start when they delivered it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
This sounds really weird, I dunno.

Risers are super easy to install correctly and if there is a potential issue that too is also very easy to asses, sooooooo Weird

·
Registered
132 Posts
Bonth,

This is one of the best bikes in the world. Do not allow yourselves to not have it because of some schmucks.
I would be more assertive with those losers. I would tell them that I will sue them for endangering my wellbeing by delivery of defective new motorcycle. Or something like that. Unless they change all affected harness. Of course since you can not trust them you would have to mark the existing harness. It sounds like a lot of hassle but if that will make you keep the bike believe me it is worth it. Ultimately BMW is responsible for the fiasco because they give such idiots dealership licence. I would definitely inform the BMW about my experience and also give them some shit.

·
Not that senior.
690 Posts
cable extenders

Usually if the risers are more than 1.5 inches high you will need cable extenders.
Readily available and easy to fit.

I put ROX risers on my 2010. Up 1.5 inches, and back the same amount. No problems in 75000km

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
This is a very minor problem to resolve as far as the wiring being pulled tight causing the connectors to pull out, the wiring just needs to be routed in a manner that provides a little more slack which can be done by visually.
One reason why a try to never have a dealer work on my machines, especially install an accessory.
I purchased a set of the BMW footpegs (the $300+ a set ones) at the same time that I bought my 2013 GS, the dealer installed them charging me $25 while they got the bike ready to deliver, I got about 100 miles down the road and the left peg fell off and bounced down the Interstate, it got banged up a bit, the tech failed to snap the e-clip on properly so that and the pin were lost, the dealer protested about replacing the damaged peg and missing hardware, this was resolved without much fuss and the bike has been virtually flawless 60k+ miles later.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I believe the problem can be resolved. As said by someone, this is a very good bike to just discard due to a delivery error.

Our fingers are crossed for you.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
368 Posts
You purchased a great bike. Don't let dealer set-up issues color it any differently. Take a deep breath, gather all your resolve and make a clear and non-negotiable demand on the dealer to fix it. After you're humming down the road, follow it to a competent dealer for future service. A report to BMW corporate would be mandatory.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bonth,

This is one of the best bikes in the world. Do not allow yourselves to not have it because of some schmucks.
I would be more assertive with those losers. I would tell them that I will sue them for endangering my wellbeing by delivery of defective new motorcycle. Or something like that. Unless they change all effective harness. Of course since you can not trust them you would have to mark the existing harness. It sounds like a lot of hassle but if that will make you keep the bike believe me it is worth it. Ultimately BMW is responsible for the fiasco because they give such idiots dealership licence. I would definitely inform the BMW about my experience and also give them some shit.
I have sent BMW NA an email to their customer service link, but I doubt that will have much if any impact. In looking at the bike, it appears that they also could have moved the cables from within the triple tree to outside the triple tree to relieve a lot of tension on them. I just don't get why they didn't check their work, or know how to install the risers they sold?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I appreciate all the support and encouragement about the merits of this bike. Until it goes back to the dealer tomorrow I will not know why the check engine light is on, adn to be honest it is entirely possible it is not related to the wiring harness. If it is wiring harness related, then I will demand a new harness be installed with the extenders at their expense since they should have known how to install their own aftermarket products. If it is caused by something else on a zero mileage bike...well, I don't know, certainly won't give me the warm fuzzys about keeping it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Hang in there Pard. This is a dealer problem, not a BMW one. If your dealer is worth it’s salt, they will make it right. They can’t remain in business without satisfied customers. Maybe the tech was having a bad day, maybe a trainee. I understand your frustration. I think once it is resolved, you will love the bike.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
As far as contacting BMW NA customer service goes I'm very certain that this department is farmed out to a call center and that your complaint will fall on not only deaf ears but ears with zero authority, expect to possibly get a response with an apology but that's it.
Most dealers will give a job like installing accessories on a new bike to the lot technician who is generally one of the least experienced tech's at the dealer, on top of that most of the after-market accessories they sell are likely cash and carry and not installed by the dealer so it is not at all surprising that a dealer sells items that they have little experience installing.

Be careful about demanding a new wiring harness be installed, I would personally want the fix to be as simple as possible, having them install new harnesses introduces a whole new prospect that something else could go wrong.
In your shoes I would speak with a manager and ask that they have their finest technician (every dealer has a stand-out) complete the repairs to the bike.
If it were me though I would repair the botched install myself.

·
Survivor
677 Posts
as far as contacting bmw na customer service goes i'm very certain that this department is farmed out to a call center and that your complaint will fall on not only deaf ears but ears with zero authority, expect to possibly get a response with an apology but that's it.
Most dealers will give a job like installing accessories on a new bike to the lot technician who is generally one of the least experienced tech's at the dealer, on top of that most of the after-market accessories they sell are likely cash and carry and not installed by the dealer so it is not at all surprising that a dealer sells items that they have little experience installing.

be careful about demanding a new wiring harness be installed, i would personally want the fix to be as simple as possible, having them install new harnesses introduces a whole new prospect that something else could go wrong.
in your shoes i would speak with a manager and ask that they have their finest technician (every dealer has a stand-out) complete the repairs to the bike.
If it were me though i would repair the botched install myself.
+1..........

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As far as contacting BMW NA customer service goes I'm very certain that this department is farmed out to a call center and that your complaint will fall on not only deaf ears but ears with zero authority, expect to possibly get a response with an apology but that's it.

Be careful about demanding a new wiring harness be installed, I would personally want the fix to be as simple as possible, having them install new harnesses introduces a whole new prospect that something else could go wrong.
In your shoes I would speak with a manager and ask that they have their finest technician (every dealer has a stand-out) complete the repairs to the bike.
If it were me though I would repair the botched install myself.
I will have to wait and see what they find before I know if its wiring or not, but if it is wiring I doubt anything short of a new harness will fix this. I especially don't want to find out I have a bad harness the first time I put the switch gear in water...long walk home from those places.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think we have english language problem here. (My problem:)) By harness I meant wirings/cables affected (stretched out) by the said mod. Not all the wiring on the bike. This is probably what Bonth is thinking also?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts