R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey There:

Brand new to this forum and a proud new owner of this wonderful bike. I'm sure this question has been asked by many, but I like to perform my own routine servicing, particularly oil and filter changes. Will doing this void the warranty?

·
Administrator
1,886 Posts
Yes, it is in there.

If a brand new bike some prefer doing first breakin service at selling dealer, or at least buying the materials there as that first service does require the final drive oil change too.

·
Survivor
960 Posts
Thank you for the prompt reply. I assumed so as BMW lists their recommended oil in the rider's manual.
Their recommended oil will always be their brand of oil, which they sell at exorbitant cost; you do not need to use that oil. The important oil information in the owners manual are the oil specifications BMW provides. The specifications will tell you what viscosity oil to use in the temperature range you will ride in. It will also tell you the API (American Petroleum Institute) and JASO (Japanese Automotive Standards Organization) ratings the oil must have. All of this information is normally printed on every container of oil. If an oil meets these specifications, then it is suitable for your machine.

There are more opinions on what oil is the best oil than there are stars in the universe and most are just as dim, so do yourself a favor and do not ask that question.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Their recommended oil will always be their brand of oil, which they sell at exorbitant cost; you do not need to use that oil. The important oil information in the owners manual are the oil specifications BMW provides. The specifications will tell you what viscosity oil to use in the temperature range you will ride in. It will also tell you the API (American Petroleum Institute) and JASO (Japanese Automotive Standards Organization) ratings the oil must have. All of this information is normally printed on every container of oil. If an oil meets these specifications, then it is suitable for your machine.

There are more opinions on what oil is the best oil than there are stars in the universe and most are just as dim, so do yourself a favor and do not ask that question.
very true , but i would use the BMW brand Oil with receipts until your factory warranty is expired. It would be near imposable to be denied a warranty claim if your using the same materials a dealer would use.

just my opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

HaHa. Thanks, Kevin.

·
Survivor
960 Posts
very true , but i would use the BMW brand Oil with receipts until your factory warranty is expired. It would be near imposable to be denied a warranty claim if your using the same materials a dealer would use.

just my opinion.
Your opinion…. fair enough, but not backed up with a reasonable basis. It is wise to keep records of maintenance, including receipts, but the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits dealerships from engaging the behavior you seem concerned about.

·
Registered
270 Posts
It is absolutely legal in the US to do all your own maintenance or to have a third party independent dealer, or anyone else for that matter, perform the maintenance. So long as the parts used fall within the specification, they don’t have to be sourced from BMW either. Pterodactyl above specifies the name of the law. I believe Canada has a very similar law as well.
It is relatively straight forward and very fulfilling to do most service on the GS. I find it enjoyable.

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
2021 BMW R1250 GS Adventure
242 Posts
But be aware that BMW no longer has manuals available for doityourselfers. Nor does anyone else. As such, you are on your own to find Youtube videos or whatever to see Service stuff.
BMW may not make manuals available to "doityourselfers" but some enterprising soul on eBay has.
Let your conscience be your guide. $36 for a PDF download. Just saying......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts