R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first R1200GS this week.

Its a 2005 model, USA spec, with ABS, 16K miles. I'm probably the 3rd owner.

One of the previous owners had done some nice mods to it that I can see - ohlins shocks in the front and rear, horn and aftermarket silencer.

It feels more powerful and smoother than a regular R12GS, and seems to have similar power to the 2017 R12GS LC that I test rode at a dealer.

Another 'feature' is that when deaccelerating with engine braking, I get the occasional braap, as if it had a rich mixture.

So - is there anyway to find out if the bike had a chip mod done to it?

·
Not that senior.
703 Posts
Thats rich?

I think the noise you are hearing from the exhaust is just as it should be.
These are lean burn engines, so it will not be making that noise because it is running rich.

Not sure what you mean by a chip mod though. Not sure that's possible on an 05.

I doubt the bike will have anywhere near the same power as any Liquid cooled bike. Thats a lot of extra horses to find, and no amount of mods to that model will make up that sort of extra power.

Where are you from?

How many miles on the bike?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have read about people using the Booster Plug or Power Commander on early models but no chip as in what is currently used in the LC. I used to have an '07 and it was in no way near the power of the current line of GS. When I wanted to pass a vehicle on the '07, I would have to plan ahead and build up some speed, not so on the new bikes. Perhaps your test ride had the throttle in "Rain" mode.

Reactions: gdayjr
1 - 3 of 3 Posts